Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Site Team

Electric motorcycles at Isle of Man TT

Earlier today I caught an interesting movie on Netflix called Charge. It's about the first time electric motorcycles competed at the Isle of Man TT course, not against gas bikes, but just against each other.

The movie is primarily about an American who decides to build an electric motorcycle company from scratch and take it to the first tie electric motorcycles competed at Isle of Man (catch races at Isle of Man is on my bucket list). It's also a good movie if for no other reason than it shows some of the challenges of a start-up company (even if the company in question does have some deep pockets).

Charge (2011) - Plot Summary - IMDb

Herb

Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #2

Good documentary with a recent sad ending. Michael Czysz passed away very recently due to cancer. He originally built a Motorcycle to compete in MotoGP(motorcycle's Formula One equivalent) that never worked out mostly due to changing rules. His electric bike and its variations went on to win 4 of the Isle of Man electric motorcycle races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Sorry to hear about Michael Czysz, he seemed like a visionary. Interesting that in the movie he references how he took the leap to start his company because John Britten, another independent motorcycle developer who died far too young.

Herb
Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the excellent recommendation for "Charge". Very sad to hear about Michael Czysz.
Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #5

[QUOTE=BroncoHauler;177178]Earlier today I caught an interesting movie on Netflix called Charge. It's about the first time electric motorcycles competed at the Isle of Man TT course, not against gas bikes, but just against each other.

I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen the movie, but do you remember the name of the rider? Was it Tom Montano? He's a good friend who has ridden the IOM many times, and raced one of the first Ebikes there. He's from the S.F. bay area, along with several others including long time racer Wade Boyd. Tom and Wade are also friends with Rally Panam I believe. And, yes a trip to the island is a must do for all race fans at least once, it's an experience I'll never forget.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Sorry, I don't recall the name of the rider.

FWIW, if you have Amazon Video as part of their Prime service, you can rent the video for $3.99

Herb
Old 06-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #7

Great flix, thanks for the tip.
FXRQ is offline   Reply With Quote