Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Envirobrick...anyone tried it?

So they've got this stuff at Tractor Supply for $3 for a brick of 6.
That's like a farm store/co-op type place if they don't have it wherever you are. It looks like a bug free, clean substitute for firewood. It's pretty dense and heavy. Has anyone tried it? I'm wondering how long it burns. It certainly looks like it would be easier to carry along than firewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:08 PM   #2

At $3.19 a 6 pack, take some home and try them out/write up a review.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:09 PM   #3

Those are probably a lot like Energy Logs. My buddy buys a pallet of them every winter for keeping the woodstove cranking overnight. I tried in my cabin stove and they are awesome. it burned all night with the air intake half shut and there was enough left to quickly start a regular fire with good old fashioned lodgepole.

Probably very similar, Flux liked them

North Idaho Energy Logs - Energy Logs
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
At $3.19 a 6 pack, take some home and try them out/write up a review.
I plan to. I'm in there at least once a week because they sell grade 5 and 8 hardware by the pound so it's about half the price of everywhere else. Anyway, my hands were full today. I was curious if anyone had seen it or tried it before.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

Looks like they say no bugs, which is good for transportation... you're generally not supposed to haul firewood around due to the possibility of bugs migrating unnaturally and causing issues.

I might have to try some.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Site Team

But, does it burn like firewood, or more like charcoal? I need flames and a crackling fire when camping.

Herb
Old 12-20-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

Garage
I was given one of the fake fire logs by one of the local expo members at a meet. He couldn't stay another night camping and gave us his leftover firewood for making him waffles that morning. He spoke highly of the fire log so we gave it a try that night. Was pretty slick actually. It had a wrapper that you lit on each side and it burned across the seam and melted off under it to catch the fake log on fire. He said to place it on 2 pieces of wood so it had air under it and it worked perfect. It caught on fire pretty quickly and burned for about an hour and a half till it started to fall apart. I put a few pieces of real wood on it and it fell apart but every little chunk was like a super hot coal and started those pieces of wood instantly.

Wife found a couple for cheap and we used one each night on the next trip. We like them cause they are small, clean and burn for a good amount of time, and if those bulk ones are similar they would probably be perfect for the reasons said like bugs, but also because they don't pop off cinders that would spark a fire elsewhere. We also liked that the logs smelled more like wax and candles then campfire smoke when burning.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts about them.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #8

Seems to be a good product with positive reviews

Here's their website if you haven't found it already.

Home | Enviro-Brick
Old 12-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
I was given one of the fake fire logs by one of the local expo members at a meet. He couldn't stay another night camping and gave us his leftover firewood for making him waffles that morning. He spoke highly of the fire log so we gave it a try that night. Was pretty slick actually. It had a wrapper that you lit on each side and it burned across the seam and melted off under it to catch the fake log on fire. He said to place it on 2 pieces of wood so it had air under it and it worked perfect. It caught on fire pretty quickly and burned for about an hour and a half till it started to fall apart. I put a few pieces of real wood on it and it fell apart but every little chunk was like a super hot coal and started those pieces of wood instantly.

Wife found a couple for cheap and we used one each night on the next trip. We like them cause they are small, clean and burn for a good amount of time, and if those bulk ones are similar they would probably be perfect for the reasons said like bugs, but also because they don't pop off cinders that would spark a fire elsewhere. We also liked that the logs smelled more like wax and candles then campfire smoke when burning.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts about them.
I have used ones like this, that are made with recycle coffee beans. Lit easily, burned a long time, but never smelled like coffee like it was supposed to.

Herb
Old 12-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

Garage
Not sure if ours was supposed to smell like coffee, but that's a great gimmick.

Ours smelled just like a candle after you blew out the flame. None of the smoke was toxic or black like I had envisioned though.

The one thing that was missing was the campfire crackle like you mentioned above. You could just add real piece of wood for that effect, but adding other things made the fake logs not last as long. You couldn't jostle it around either or it would flake apart. Directions said not to burn with wood or bad things would happen. There were lots of warnings saying not to do any of the things we typically do around the fire, but what do they know. No one tells us what to do, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote