Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 AM   #1

Estimating value of a SMB conversion

Hey fellow SMB, So I just got my first Sportsmobile and was wondering if anyone knows of a Kelly Blue Book type service for SMB. I realize what someone is willing to pay is the real value indicator, I would however like some way to independently estimate value based on condition and option upgrades etc..like we are able to do with cars. If any one is an expert or has an idea how to go about this I would really appreciate it.

Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Wouldn’t ya know it, you’ve found the one place filled with experts (It’s all relative after all) on everything SMB or home built van all in one place. Just post up the SMB (or other) in question, include a detailed description and lots of photos (don’t forget this step or you’ll hear all about it) sit back and watch the magic unfold, you’ll have your valuation within a few days time.....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

Hi I am new to the forum could you please recommend the correct place to post that information I want to be sure to do it right.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #4

Garage
This thread that you've started already here is perfect!
Drop all that good info (and pics, as REF has stressed!) right here.

So what ya got?
(Year, van make/model, miles, what engine, options, again LOTS OF GOOD PHOTOS INSIDE AND OUT (and a few underneath to show how clean van is/isn't), can you tell us if you have the complete repair and ownership history of the van, etc....)

Like REF said -- you're in the right place! Just feed this forum that info/pics and watch your valuation questions get swiftly crowd-sourced by what's got to be the best "Sportsmobile knowledge bank" on the planet.*

*Some might say that we know TOO MUCH about these vans. (Just ask our way-too-patient wives/girlfriends** who listen to us talk about Sportsmobiles all day long, haha....)

**or possibly husbands/boyfriends....or partners.....we've got some more-than-equally-van-savvy ladies here on the forum too!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
This thread that you've started already here is perfect!
Drop all that good info (and pics, as REF has stressed!) right here.

So what ya got?
(Year, van make/model, miles, what engine, options, again LOTS OF GOOD PHOTOS INSIDE AND OUT (and a few underneath to show how clean van is/isn't), can you tell us if you have the complete repair and ownership history of the van, etc....)

Like REF said -- you're in the right place! Just feed this forum that info/pics and watch your valuation questions get swiftly crowd-sourced by what's got to be the best "Sportsmobile knowledge bank" on the planet.*

*Some might say that we know TOO MUCH about these vans. (Just ask our way-too-patient wives/girlfriends** who listen to us talk about Sportsmobiles all day long, haha....)

**or possibly husbands/boyfriends....or partners.....we've got some more-than-equally-van-savvy ladies here on the forum too!
Hey that’s super friendly and very cool of you all. I am trying find a good balance of the right options to increase functionality and resale value without going way upside down on my vehicle if I end wanting to sell it. I looked for over a year before pulling he trigger and buying one. My son and I have ikon ski passes and want to visit as many mountains in North America this year as possible. My SMB really lacks functionality and storage I am so grateful for any help and advice and am not offended at all by any advice or correction to my forum manners. Thank you
Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #6

Here goes: SMB 2008 Ford E 350, 6.0 Diesel Quigley 4X4 conversion only 31,000 miles and never camped in. This SMB is in absolute triple mint condition their literally is not a single scratch or ding on it. It was a one owner (till I bought it). The Wheels and tires are 60,000 mile warranty and are brand new. I also have the factory ford OEM wheels qty-5 and their also new. I am installing badger fender guards and a new stereo system with blue tooth, sirius radio and a back up camera this Thursday. Kinda sad story the guy who owned it brought it home as a surprise to his family and his wife and kids hated it and wouldn’t go anywhere in it. So after 8 years of basically being garaged he sold it to me. I’m just wondering given the condition it’s on should I add the approximate 10K in upgrades (roof rack, ladder, front bumper,, rear bumper,awning, etc..sincle if I did I would need close to 70k out of it. I really am trying to decide if given my personal needs and usage if I would be better off with a Winnebago Revel that already has the creature comforts. I would appreciate any and all input comments or suggestions please. Real sorry about the pictures being inverted I have tried 3 times to fix them.
Attached Thumbnails
BC507897-29FC-4858-82EA-C3BA924B6C83.jpg   C314248F-4270-4FAC-8CE6-5C5C0DF49695.jpg   91300386-CFDB-4D06-BFF8-A634B68F5BDC.jpg   18BA9FA6-A24E-4C44-BDCF-98672A4D70F1.jpg   A8C443C5-99BE-407C-84CF-E3068ED6DCC8.jpg  

0E6C6A65-ECB2-4A85-AD49-B34EB66386F2.jpg   ECFB4E5A-2BD1-4C30-A9D4-9350CEF40122.jpg   C2776C23-0791-471B-A935-65D3F077CAB8.jpg   0F57EE20-BDAF-4877-8D98-5E65130DB4FD.jpg   5342BF1E-11EC-4843-B15C-0B0B3F68FCD7.jpg  

Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Garage
Really nice rig.
Sad story about the previous owner! What kind of family wouldn't be totally stoked to have a surprise Sportsmobile show up??? Crazy. (Of course we're biased around here....and crazy in our own ways, lol....)

There's a variety of ways to get those images "right side up," I'm guessing you took those pictures with an iPhone. If so --- you can repost them (edit your post) for up to 24 hours before the post "locks" and doesn't allow any more changes to it.

I'd suggest the following method of "fixing" those sideways/upside-down images:
1) Open each photo up on your iPhone and *make a screen capture of it* with the phone. (With it oriented correctly of course.)
2) Re-post the new "screen-captured version" of each of those photos (remove the problematic sideways/upside down versions from your post first.) Usually the screen-captured versions don't have the same weirdly-wrong rotation issues.

And if ya can --- any more pics of the full interior layout would be helpful. Would be nice to see what the full couch/bed/countertop layouts look like.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #8

8 years and never camped in? Wife and kids probably didn't want to go anywhere that didn't have LTE or WiFi. I've never seen a kid, even sullen teenagers, who come over to my house who didn't want me to show them my SMB interior and ooh and ah over it!

There's likely more to the story...maybe the owner bought it for his family out of guilt for something (affair, etc. who knows). Just sad!

If you bought that rig for around $60k I think you did very, very well! I would see no problem getting $70k even as it sits. Go ahead and do the upgrades...you'll still be money ahead IMHO. A late build 6.0 diesel is likely fine but I would change all fluids (oil, trans, coolant, brakes, etc) and plan to replace the factory coolant each year. That's what the owner of my 150,000 mile 6.0 did and never had any issues.
Poptopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #9

Wink The forum is awesome the people make it even better

Hey Mike, damn man I so appreciate the feedback and will heed you’re advice.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #10

The biggest bummer about this one is that I can't afford it! I would think $65-75k would be about right even as it sits. Just get the motor inspected and leave it.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appraisal, for sale