Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #11

Re: Favorite mobile (and easy) foods

We bring frozen leftovers and leave them in the SMB fridge to thaw while we are traveling. Keeps the fridge cooler as a side benefit. Prep is minimal.

We also like to take stuff that can be heated at least two ways (if it needs heating at all), because we never know if we will be boondocking or at a campsite with electric, or at a site that may/may not allow campfires. And if it involves dirtying more than one dish, it's off the list. We don't want a lot of effort for dinner when it comes to returning to the SMB after sunset after a long hike.

Every trip, we have a tradition of Kraft Mac'n'Cheese with ground beef mixed in, seasoned with Old Bay and cayenne. Re-heats in the micro or on the stovetop. Simple, clean, and satisfying.

Breakfast is cold cereal and milk, or hard boiled eggs. Lunches are usually ham or turkey sandwiches and chips. The only thing that needs refrigeration is the meat and cheese. Hummus packs easily, and can be eaten as a snack or used as a spread on a sandwich.

Quality canned, low sodium soup is good. Canned soup doesn't need to use valuable fridge space to store, and can heat on stove, nuked, or on a fire. Hot dogs and brats (quality ones) are a fave of ours, and are best cooked over a fire. You always have the lesser options of nuking or boiling them.

We've brought home made lasagna, ravioli, enchiladas, chollay (Afghan chick pea stew), all of which can be reheated multiple ways, but the micro is the best for these. Leftover pizza slices from our local favorite joint seemed like a good idea, but weren't...unless you like re-living your college days.

Don't forget to splurge on yourself once a trip. Our traditional splurge is a Denny's Moons Over My Hammy breakfast sandwich platter. Once you have that, you don't need to eat again until next Tuesday, nutritionally speaking.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

We hit Trader Joes and Fresh & Easy for most of our week or less trips. if we can we minimum the size of the packaging. The Trader Joes precooked meats are great and vacuum sealed once out of the store package ( rack of Lamb cut into chops and grilled with mashed potatoes are so good.) Fresh and easy has bunch of veggies that are quick and tasty to put on the grill or the little Colman oven we take with us.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:31 PM   #13

Garage

My favorites, also used on dirt bike rides:

- Korean BBQ Pork jerky (like candy!)
- Trio nut/fruit/seed bars
- Roasted almonds
- Dried cranberries
- Baby carrots
- Apples
- Buy pre-packaged salads at the deli complete with croutons and dressing, ready to toss
- Refrigerated fully cooked chicken breast pieces - add to salad or make a sandwich
Old 06-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #14

Breakfast is easy, granola or PB&J or instant oatmeal
Lunch is sandwiches, chips, apple, carrot
Dinner is just like at home, cooked to order stir fry, barbeque, brown rice or potatoes.

I enjoy cooking both at home and while traveling.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Heh heh... me and a buddy maintained for three days in Tibet on Pringles, Pepsi, Oreos, and Snickers when we got hosed by weather and stuck in a village, and then ridiculous police road block traffic jams and bad snow removal in the middle of nowhere.
We'll be heading into Tibet this coming September. The food situation does have me a bit worried. I eat a pretty wide variety of stuff so I should be fine. I'm taking a supply of Clif bars just in case.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #16

Beef Stew one pot meal:

1 can Kirkland canned roast beef, fresh vegetables: carrots, onions, potatoes, 1 pack brown gravy mix. Heat vegetables until vegetables are done. Drain add beef and gravy mix. We also through in freeze dried corn, green beans, peas, etc. What ever we have with us.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote