Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Fly over?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Fly over?

pretty cool. would like to have experienced that...other than my instashade getting demolished of course.

wife and i were camping weekend before labor day sitting in a local hotsprings and got a flyby by a f15. his buddy was doing the same thing. playing decoy way up high, then the other plane was low enough and pitched sideways so the pilot was looking right at us as he flew by. he was hoping for nekkid girls im sure. he missed the show by about 10 min

apparently that area gets all kind of flybys as its pretty close to a local air force base. a buddy told me hes seen the f15's flying over one of the local reservoirs (anderson ranch) numerous times while camping in that area. sometimes a few times a day.

years earlier a bunch of us were sitting in another hotsprings about dusk. a weird noise started all of a sudden. we were all looking at each other like wtf is that? a few minutes later 6-7 blackhawks came up over the ridge in a v formation right above the treeline and went right over us. it was eerie...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Had a lot of close sites at DVNP or just outside the park. One was just after I got a speeding ticket so I pulled into Ridgecrest to get a radar detector. On the way to the park I decided to speed up. Then the detector's laser mode went off. Thought I was gonna get another ticket. A second later a jet flew over not 50' off the ground. I jumped and hit my head on the head liner. That little button on top of a baseball hat hurts!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

^^^*snort*
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #5

So awesome! Umbrellas and canopies flying away!!!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #6

I used to work at the USAF tonopah test range operating copies of Russian air defense radars and you haven't lived until you have been buzzed by a F 4 at 40 feet and 400 knots. It takes the neon tubes out of the ceiling fixtures.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
I used to work at the USAF tonopah test range operating copies of Russian air defense radars and you haven't lived until you have been buzzed by a F 4 at 40 feet and 400 knots. It takes the neon tubes out of the ceiling fixtures.
I do NOT want to know how you got copies.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #8

That was pretty neat. Just to jump on the bandwagon, I was camped between Sparks and Pyramid Lake back around 1960 or so and the Blue Angels were practicing for their show at the upcoming Reno Air Races. I heard this roaring sound, looked to the north and here comes an Angel at around 60' AGL. I hit the deck and when he went over it flatted my tent and threw stuff all over. When the dust (there was lots of it) settled I changed my shorts and thot that was pretty neat and wished he would come by again. Didn't happen and I left the next morning.
As has been stated, lots of jets in Saline Valley and other places in the Nevada desert. But, my '60s experience was my closest.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote