Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Ford 6 liter - not what you think

Sorry to go off topic and I know this picture doesn't show the difference between gas or diesel, but it kind of blew me away. I didn't have a clue how common pickups were throughout the states. I also wondered why I didn't see many Ford trucks in both Wyoming and Idaho even though the map show different. To stay on topic it seemed the most I saw were back there were Dodge 1 tons diesels, either fleet side models or flatbeds. I understand hauling feed/animals is common when dealing with those people who live away from the city crowds plus that ranchers make up a lower portion of the population. It did seem that the Dodge diesel was the favorite by that particular crowd or so it appeared when I drove through that neck of the woods a few years back. Even out here I see more horsemen with trailers using the Dodge diesel trucks. Maybe it's an engine/drivetrain thing?

Attached Thumbnails
vehicles.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Sorry to go off topic and I know this picture doesn't show the difference between gas or diesel, but it kind of blew me away. I didn't have a clue how common pickups were throughout the states. I also wondered why I didn't see many Ford trucks in both Wyoming and Idaho even though the map show different. To stay on topic it seemed the most saw were back there were Dodge 1 tons diesels, either fleet side models or flatbeds. I understand hauling feed/animals is common when dealing with those people who live away from the city crowds plus that ranchers make up a lower portion of the population. It did seem that the Dodge diesel was the favorite by that particular crowd or so it appeared when I drove through that neck of the woods a few years back. Even out here I see more horsemen with trailers using the Dodge diesel trucks. Maybe it's an engine/drivetrain thing?

daveb,

Very interesting US graphic! Why the Subaru's in upper West and Upper east Coast is puzzling?

I pull loads and have biggest Truck Camper you can buy, Eagle Cap 1160, dual slide, 80 gallons water, 46 black, 46 grey, sofa, dinette, dry bath, Queen bed, 3 AGM batteries, 2 solar panels, so my 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 Crew Longbed Cummins 6.7 diesel with 4.1 diff, non DEF, is powerful, economic and very quiet.

This thread is all over the place. 6.0 diesel was the start I thought? Very interesting though!
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
Why the Subaru's in upper West and Upper east Coast is puzzling?
It is a fun one to look at. Now who knows how they decided on/collected the data (so accuracy may not be actual), but still fun.

I can take a guess on the Subarus. I think there is a demographic in both the NE and NW that values compactness and fuel efficiency, and thus appreciates the practicality of station wagons. 4WD is very handy in snow and rain, which they have, but a truck may not be needed. Hence a 4WD wagon.

I used to have a Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon and it was super handy and fun to drive, great in snow, and got 35+ mpg (not that that newer ones get that anymore, but mine had 63 hp ).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #14

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
Why the Subaru's in upper West and Upper east Coast is puzzling?
It is a fun one to look at. Now who knows how they decided on/collected the data (so accuracy may not be actual), but still fun.

I can take a guess on the Subarus. I think there is a demographic in both the NE and NW that values compactness and fuel efficiency, and thus appreciates the practicality of station wagons. 4WD is very handy in snow and rain, which they have, but a truck may not be needed. Hence a 4WD wagon.

I used to have a Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon and it was super handy and fun to drive, great in snow, and got 35+ mpg (not that that newer ones get that anymore, but mine had 63 hp ).
Viva,
My daughter has a Subaru Forrester 2.5i, 2 small children, husband, its what economically they can afford here in Australia at $1.35/litre.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

[quote="daveb"] Even out here I see more horsemen with trailers using the Dodge diesel trucks. Maybe it's an engine/drivetrain thing?

It is absolutely an engine/drivetrain thing! Out here in Nevada the Fords were by far the most popular until the 6.0 came along. Then to add insult to injury, Ford dropped manual transmissions. The unmatched simplicity and dependability, low-end grunt plus great fuel mileage of the old Cummins 5.9 with a manual tranny apparently is every cowboy's dream vehicle. At least around here, that's what 95% of the cowboys drive. I notice that the newer Ram trucks with the Cummins and all the smog gear are popular only with the young guys who drive them as status symbols but as yet they are not catching on with the ranches.

12 years ago or so I was driving through the Roaring Springs Ranch in the Catlow Valley of southern Oregon on a day when they were holding a team roping competition. It looked like a Ford truck dealership - there were 27 Fords of various vintages all in a row hooked to horse trailers.... and one lonely Dodge Dakota. But at that time Burns, Oregon - the nearest town, some 80 miles to the north - had only a Ford dealership so I think that availability might have a lot to do with what vehicles are popular where.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Ha, I guess we helped out pushing the forester to its top spot here in CO. Ray-sorry, I must have missed your post just above mine, great minds think alike, at the same time, except you're an hour earlier...
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #17

I have see that statistic about Subaru's other places. They are top sellers in the NW and NE but not other places. Have owned a few and liked them. Good handling in all types of weather with good gas mileage.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
I have see that statistic about Subaru's other places. They are top sellers in the NW and NE but not other places. Have owned a few and liked them. Good handling in all types of weather with good gas mileage.
Speaking of gas Larrie, just think how many gallons of gasoline I'd have in reserve when looking at how much I've spent on the added maintenance I've shelled out over the years on my 6.0. Although anybody can get a good or bad engine in either model, just oil changes are costly with a diesel. Sure the 6.0 has the low end grunt and gets better mileage but I partially based going to one on a couple of things other than towing stats. One was the price of diesel used to be substantially lower than gas and I also made a mistake thinking diesels handled engine bay heat better. Don't get me wrong, I like my 6.0 for the sound of the engine alone, but going through what I have I really think I'd be a bit happier with a V-10. Buying a used 6.0 might be OK, but how was it treated? Did they stay on top of the oil and coolant changes? Did they chip it? There is a lot to consider. The V-10 does OK when towing if you ask those who have them.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #19

I sent this link to this thread, and others, to my daughter and son in law. It really opened their eyes. They will be doing more homework on trucks before buying one. It is easy for the illusion of what you what to cloud what you really need.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #20

I love my 6.0! Like most things, you have "unique" differences to consider when buying anything. Many have "bulletproofed" their trucks by addressing known issues. Clean oil, better cooling, filters, etc....
I have no issue adding something like a trans cooler, a coolant filter, or scan gauge to "see" possible issues. My 14-16 miles per gallon, great torque for pulling, is easily worth taking care of a few known issues. The good news is they are known and many like the guys at companies like bulletproof diesel have 300k on these vans using this diesel engine. Everyone who has one, that has addressed possible "known" issues, seems to love it.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote