Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Site Team

Re: Frankenstorm!!!!!

I found this an interesting read:

*Some* New Yorkers are not ready for what's coming.

Quote:
I overheard a conversation between a six year old and her father on the way back from my almond milk run:

"Well we got a lot of stuff, we have plenty of milk and some wonderful veggies, and stuff for hot and cold cereal, so we'll be fine."

"But daddy? What if the power goes out? Won't the fridge stop?"

"I... urm... your mother and I don't think that will happen."

"Sir, your six year old can see that your disaster plans are inadequate, and that grocery store is still full of cans that won't go bad. Go get some," I wish I had said. Not like New Yorkers are inclined to listen.
Quote:
Mon Oct 29, 2012 at 9:08 AM PT: Good noon everyone.

So sandy isn't quite here yet, but we're already feeling the effects. I'm going to start a New York liveblog shortly, as soon as I take care of some final preparations. We've all had last showers, and the tub is bleached and full of water.

New York is already seeing major power outages in queens and brooklyn. Rosedale Queens and east Flatbush, Brooklyn, are seeing outages already.

To prepare for the flooding, they've closed most of FDR drive.

The wind is already starting to pick up now, up here on the 6th floor. It's buffeting around my wall AC. That's going to get annoying, quick.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #22

Dave, that is true, but I think the percentage of yo-yo's who don't prepare here is about the same as the rest of the country.

What's interesting to me are the large numbers of people in denial who wait until the last minute to hit the stores. Massive line at the one local supermarket that's still open, and this is as the wind is already picking up and the tunnels are being closed. Also interesting are the small number of souls walking out of the liquor store, loaded down with booze. We all have our own versions of "laying in supplies." I have kind of a survivalist bent, as many SMB'ers do, so I've been ready for a while and my big worry now is getting the dog to go out in the rain.

As a small report, I walked to the Hudson this morning. Where I am, it's more an extension of the harbor than anything else - in fact, the "salt line," where it becomes fresh water, is way up by Tappan Zee Bridge - and it was only the second time in my life that I have seen it washing over the wall onto the sidewalk. It may be much worse during tonight's high tide, which coincides with the storm surge.

Should get real interesting around 6 or 7 pm. I'll head down there then, but it'll be too dark for photos, probably.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #23

Hey all of you right coasters, be safe out there...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Words of wisdom from a NC friend and veteran of many hurricane parties who currently lives in the capitol:

There's tur'ble hurri'kin a'brewin out there. Y'all DC folk best be gettin' get your panic on, and right quick now, ya hear?

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM   #25

Heck, we live several hundred miles to the west of the coast and we have supplies stashed. Always do. Watching news and a guy reports that he went to store and they were out of bottled water, flashlights and batteries. Dhaaa. Poor timing.

Some people plan ahead and some don't. Wife was with a bunch of friends this weekend. Her and one other have week plus of food supplies in the house. Several other must go to store every other day...no food supplies in home.

We are probably overly causes but.... Have a friend who thinks we are crazy for "tying up money" in food stash. I think he is crazy for not having a disaster plan. Everyone should TRY to has 6 months cash in reserve and a week of food and other supplies in the home.

We were without power for a week many years back in low 40's weather. Did fine. Just an extended camping trip but in our own home. Camping to the sounds of chainsaws. When freezer started to warm up, just made and supplied strawberry shortcake to anyone in the neighborhood who would eat it. Big block party time.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #26

Not often (ever?) you hear hurricane warnings with a forecast for snow.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #27

People with the two feet of snow and 80 knot winds are the ones that are going to have the hardest times. This will likely kill all their livestock if it isn't in a building and more than likely quite a few will kill themselves with carbon monoxide or exposure. One thing for sure is it will be a lifechanging or ending event.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Not often (ever?) you hear hurricane warnings with a forecast for snow.
Yeah, but at least hurricanes come with warnings, unlike earthquakes.

Herb
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
Site Team

NYC Subway Platform:

I think I've seen this in a movie before. It doesn't end well.

Blogging updates

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #30

I hear the thunder of the wingtip shoes of thousands of homeowner/business insurance agents running for the borders... they never did pay up after Katrina
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote