Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #1

Free Camping Sights

For those of you unaware of this Website , I thought that you might be interested in this one
We have utilized a number of these locations and was surprised that this web site was available . A lot of good information here . Enjoy www.dispersedcamping.com
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Free Camping Sights

linky?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

That's a nice link Great tool for pre planning a trip. Thanks Greggde

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #4

Dave ,
My wife and I were amazed and a little unnerved that a couple of dozen secret uncrowded spots that we have found over the years not only were posted here but even provided valid coordinates . We looked at several spots to go to thru the Winter months this year that I didn't know existed , with many a stone's throw away from old haunts . We were both excited
at all of the new possibilities .
Greggde
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #5

It's always been a double edged sword to me- do you share your secret haunts so others can enjoy them, or do you ruin them by making them no longer secret...
Old 10-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #6

Jage ,
We are a Tight Lipped Bunch !
Greggde
Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #7

I know that dilemma. In that vein, I'm afraid I post a little too much information on my personal website.

I've been thinking now & then of starting a website where members can share their favorite private spots (camping or other interesting places like native ruins) only with trusted friends. Kind of like a Facebook for sharing secret locations. There could be several tiers of security, such as "friends only", "friends of friends", and "everyone".

Do you see any interest in something like that?

-- Geoff
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #8

I would think that this could be a worthwhile edition to the Forum . Their are so many great places to see and half of the fun is the discovery and the actual journey . Many of the places that I have traveled to in the world came from someone with like interests .
Greggde
Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #9

A section can be made with restricted access, however: how do you choose who gets access?

There are a lot of good people who lurk (lurk: read and don't post). Hi, people who lurk!

On the other hand, having a login is no indication of upstanding nature... since anyone can join (avowed interest in SMBs or not) a simple username is setting the bar too low.

I'm not talking about a technical issue, it's a social one... how and who decides. I can provide the tools, but I don't have time to manage things.

My second thought is the consistency of the information. Personally I want GPS coordinates. Coordinates of the spot I'm camping on, no more no less. Maybe the waypoint of a turn or two and that's it. I don't even care what's there, I'll go on coordinates alone. Others will want to know what makes a spot great, or better directions.

How to make the information consistent, s.t. complete information is provided for every spot and people don't get frustrated trying to interpret, or trying to find places relevant to their trip. And so that people providing secret spots know what to include. I recommend looking at GeoCaching sites for ideas on information organization.

The non-technical solution to the second part would be to have the section heavily moderated, probably by the same group who decides and grants access. The technical one would be to build a custom tool for storage and interpretation of the data.

I'd suggest those interested start a thread in Forum Problems Comments and Suggestions on how it should work, PM me with any technical questions and if it gathers enough interest we can put something together.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it as usual- those are the ways I would run it, and I don't want to run it (plus I'm insanely busy), so if someone wants to take on this project just let me know what I can do to help.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #10

Actually, it's a personal project I've been considering in the back of my mind for some years now. I've even done some prototype coding already -- with a database, website, Google maps viewing with USGS topographic imagery, & all.

Yes, I was thinking of making it like a Geocache site -- with consistent simplicity, like you say. But I was planning on it being a distinct website, not necessarily part of Sportsmobile Forum. I'd like to recruit other backcountry explorers besides Sportsmobilers -- other 4x4 camper vans, motorcycles, 4x4 camper-trucks, Jeepers, etc.

If I see enough interest in the idea, maybe I'll get off my butt and get it done

-- Geoff