Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #11

Re: Fuel Credit Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr

However, here is the problem they are trying to avoid. Gasoline purchases are apparently one of the most common thefts with stolen credit cards (when the thief physically has the credit card). When that happens and the credit card is reported stolen or you see the fraudulent charge on your bill, the law says that the cardholder isn't liable. But the credit card company doesn't want to absorb the loss and kicks the charge to the business owner, in the case, the gasoline company. Apparently the fine print in the contract between the two requires the business owner to verify the owner of the credit card using a second form of ID before making a charge. That isn't done when the card swipe is at the gasoline pump so the bank is off the hook and the gasoline company is liable and takes the loss. Hence, the gasoline company is trying to minimize their losses by limiting the amount that can be charged at one time.
Our gas stations around here require you to enter your zip code for the credit card bill before pumping. Also they still have the $75 limit.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #12

King Soopers (Kroger) offers 3¢ off with store card, 10¢ if you've bought $100 of groceries. Either way it's usually the best deal on gas or Diesel, and I try to save the 10¢ for filling the SMB, or bringing in the F250 with fuel cans.

The good news is they don't cut off for $$ but I found recently they are now enforcing the 35 gallon maximum for using the 10¢ reward. Second form of ID likely your store card.

When I double dip, I use a nitrile glove and just leave the pump in the van, depress the switch with my glove and wait for the machine to reset. As often as not when I hit the first limit I just refuse to buy any more fuel from them and move on down the road.

So how does one get a truckstop shower when one is not a CDL driver?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

So how does one get a truckstop shower when one is not a CDL driver?
Pay the 10 bucks. Nobody is going to ask for your CDL.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #14

So you can't get a fuel credit card that's a true credit card? I dislike the direct link to a checking account.
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 AM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I'm thinking like Mike...pre-paid cards. Whats wrong with that?

Good Sam is a way to get showers for less than 10 bucks. many resort type towns have combo shower/L-mats.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote