Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #11

Re: Getting my SMB....couple questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
I purchased our van in Portland, OR (stock cargo van at the time) and imported it into Canada. I had the same nervousness you have, as the PO still had an outstanding loan on the van. I spoke with FoMoCo (who issued the loan), and they told me regardless of who paid off the loan, the clear title would be sent to the PO.

After wringing my hands about this for too long (about two months altogether), I finally had the bright idea to simply ask the PO to pay off the loan first and clear the title. This was in early 2009, after the start of the financial meltdown, so I wasn't hopeful. But I actually made two offers, one for what I considered a reasonable offer, and a second for $1500 less if I had to deal with the loan BS. He took the bait, and within about three days, he had a short-term loan in place from his CU, a clear title in his hand, and I was on a plane to Portland.

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Brent

vwteleman,
Im sure he owes a good amount on this van, but that is a good idea.
I just find it hard to believe that there is not some sort of legal right to a title when this sort of situation comes up. This has to happen many times everyday between private party's?
Grrr.
But, like I said I do feel like this guy is legit.
TraceyAZ

Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #12

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

In CA you don't need a Title to buy or sell a car. A Bill of Sale and an Application for Duplicate Title is all that is necessary. Go to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr.htm and also the site for your state, there is plenty of info.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg227.pdf

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #13

I got it!! Spent the last couple days driving back my (new to me) SMB!!
2005 6.0 EB50 SMB. First impressions was.....WOW. Very clean almost flawless body and intierior.
The PO went over the van with me very well but Im positive Ive forgotten how some of the stuff works. I was given all the original owners manuals and records so I will be reading up on everything. There are a few switches and small things that I might be asking questions about but over all I think it will all come together. One question I do have is a mystery switch on the dash below the steering wheel on the right hand side. When I flip this one it idles up the engine? Does this have anything to do with the winch? So much to learn yet. I would have stopped by SMB Fresno but knowing they don't keep weekend hours I just kept rolling for home.
First order of business for sure is fresh tires and an alignment. Slight shimmy/shake in the wheel and the tires have seen better days. Not sure if Im going to stay with the stock 285-75-R16 (E) or go with another brand with an E rating?
Yes, I will Get a photo or two just as soon as I can.
As for the title questions, I worked with some very nice folks at the bank that was helping with all of this and it sounds like the paper work is in the works. I was given a few different documents that were notarized and everything seems official. Now I just got to wait for the slow wheels of the DMV to do what they do.
Thanks everyone!
TraceyAZ
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #14

congratulations!

enjoy it...

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #15

Get anything but BFG. (tire war in 3...2.. ) actually there are tons of threads on the pros, cons and experience with tires.

Note that if you change your size the placement of your steps changes. A mistake I've made more than once.

As far as the high idle, it's for idling- specifically when you are letting the van run for more than minutes to charge the battery. The idea is to prevent carbon build up in a non-hot engine, when you shut it off the carbon build up hardens and is bad for the engine. So you can either go for a hard drive after idling the van for a long time (blow/burn out the carbon?), not idle the van for a long time, or use a high idle that is supposed to keep the carbon buildup down.

To engage it needs to be in P with the parking brake on. Takes a few seconds to come on.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #16

Also, where are the photos!? It's been day and no photos yet?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ
One question I do have is a mystery switch on the dash below the steering wheel on the right hand side. When I flip this one it idles up the engine? Does this have anything to do with the winch? Thanks everyone!
TraceyAZ
I'll also add that when I first used my winch, I didn't use the high idle and it triggered a check engine light. The stock alternator is usually small (unless it was changed or ordered with an upgraded system) and should run at high idle to put out enough juice to keep the system from throwing a code.
Another switch you might have up there might be one to turn on the additional backup lights provided you have them. Same with fog lights. It seemed the spot Fresno liked to put them around that time.

Have fun with your new ride.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAZ
One question I do have is a mystery switch on the dash below the steering wheel on the right hand side. When I flip this one it idles up the engine? Does this have anything to do with the winch? Thanks everyone!
TraceyAZ
I'll also add that when I first used my winch, I didn't use the high idle and it triggered a check engine light. The stock alternator is usually small (unless it was changed or ordered with an upgraded system) and should run at high idle to put out enough juice to keep the system from throwing a code.
Another switch you might have up there might be one to turn on the additional backup lights provided you have them. Same with fog lights. It seemed the spot Fresno liked to put them around that time.

Have fun with your new ride.

I did figure out what those switches do. The two on the left do indeed run the front and rear lights. I did have to fix one of the switches, it was an easy fix one of the wires fell off the terminal.
The third switch on the right is for the high idle.
Learning new stuff everyday.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #19

Got some new tires on it today and what a difference it makes.
There is absolutly no shake or shimy going on anymore. The old tires that were on there were shot 2 years agao. The new ones make the van smooth as smooth can be. In case you want to know I went with the goodyear duratrac's size 285-75-16.
However the tire jockys for this store were trying to hassle me into buying new rims. They said for two reasons only one of them I can some what see there side for.
First is the rim (from SMB) was only rated to handle 60psi. I have E rated tires that can go to 80psi. Ok I just won't run that high of psi.
The other reason was because SMB used a spacer for the rear wheels and there lawyers don't like that. Well If if bought new rims with the correct offset then the front tires would stick out further than the rears. The rims do fit with out the spacers but SMB must have put them there for a reason?
When would you need 80psi? and what is the real reason behind the rear spacers? Im sure this is bone stock SMB. Should I leave it alone? What is the general rule on this subject?
Thanks
TraceyAZ
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #20

On my 2008 E-350 the factory recommend COLD (driven less than one mile) tire pressure is 60 front and 80psi for the rear and the spare.

Tires should always be inflated to the factory specs for highway/pavement travel (driving off road at slow speeds is the only exception I can think of ) and that is just one of the reasons for only using E rated tires on trucks and vans. There is a lot of information about the type of tires (load rating, speed rating and such)that is often overlooked by people when buying tires.
Most of the people who have tire problems don't check their pressures often enough (or cold) and or have the wrong tires on their vehicle. In fact so many tire failures and accidents happen because of low tire pressures that the government now requires all vehicles 10,000 lbs or less have manditory tire pressure monitoring systems starting in the model year 2008. Any owners manual has a great deal of information about tires if you want to understand more about them. Rim ratings are also important and just because it bolts on does not mean its ok to use. You may never have any problem with your rims but you should keep an eye on them. Also all wheels should be torqued only to the recommended specs and never over.
One last thing tires have date codes on them for a reason and should not be used even if they are new past the recommend date.

At any rate congrats on the new van and tires.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote