Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Site Team

Goin' to Moab!

Just signed up for a Bill Burke trip. My tentative plan is to head to Moab a day or two early, towing my Bronco, and then take the Bronco on the trip. I don't know if the trip is SMB-compatible, but Rachel will get back to me on that once she talks to Bill. I'm already excited to go. Any other takers (at least non-SMB at this time)?

[EDIT: From Rachel Burke

"Herb,
I just got off the phone with Bill. He said that most of the route is appropriate for Sportsmobiles except for Hotel Rock which is too technical; however, he said he can tell them how to get around it using a bypass route.
Regards,
Rachel"
]

May 3-7 - Hotel Rock to The Needles Expedition. $925./vehicle. Limit 5 vehicles. New! This trip is about visiting the ruins and historic sites around the Abajo (Lower La Sal) mountains. So we will be tourists, campers and 4-wheelers on this fun trip. Hotel Rock is an ancient ruins that is ‘condo’ size, built high above the Comb Wash valley floor. There are two routes to this ruins. The one we will take is challenging (hardest of the trip) but with good spotting can be driven with moderately set up rigs. Most of the routes on which we will be traveling are easy/moderate and since we will be camping along the way vehicles should be well prepped, have quality tires, strong suspensions and at least one traction enhancement device (Electronic traction OK) and strong recovery points. The weather is finicky this time of year and we will be working our way over the ‘back-side’ of the Elk Ridge which is about 7500 feet. We will try to set up a base camp for two parts of the trip. We’ll end up wandering through Ruin Park and into the Needles district of Canyonlands NP and up over Elephant Hill. The last official stop will be Newspaper Rock.

Herb

Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #2

Re: Goin' to Moab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
I just got off the phone with Bill. He said that most of the route is appropriate for Sportsmobiles except for Hotel Rock which is too technical
Herb
Oh man, anytime anyone makes a statement to me like that it becomes a challenge. Three times rangers have told me, "you can't take that big rig on that trail".

Although I might take Bill's recommendation a little more seriously. Sounds like a great trip.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Team

No other takers? So far I think I'm the only person to sign up, but Bill's trips typically fill up fairly fast. Must be the slow economy.

Herb
Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #4

I would like to do this trip myself but I think I will save my $$ for a heavy truck class from Bill. If things change we might sign up though.
Of course we are spoiled because we live just a bit over an hour from Moab. In fact we are headed there tommorow. Brrrrrr lows below zero.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Just a shamelss bump to encourage more people to sign up. There's still room on this trip to explore some very remote areas of Utah.

Herb
Old 03-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #6

Sadly, it doesn't look like I will be ready in time. Looking like mid to late May.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Sadly, it doesn't look like I will be ready in time. Looking like mid to late May.
Don't you have a Jeep?
Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #8

Garage

Herb, I would love to something like this with you. However, I rarely do organized group events. As a photographer, I must have the freedom to explore early and late in the day, without the pressure that I have to get back to the group in time for something. And, I really seek isolation, one of the reasons I bought the rig. Sometimes it can work out and I can make such an event a part of a longer trip. Then there's the $1K.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #9

Buddy and I are considering heading that way again in Mid to late May (dirt bike trip as the "Cactus Commode" is not exactly set up for Hell's Revenge and Behind the Rocks). Looks like we'll miss you guys again.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #10

Sounds like a great trip Herb. No chance of making it though since we have a week long trip planned one week later (Belize). One of these day I really want to take one of his classes. Hopefully this fall if he offers one again in the Southern California vicinity. I'm sure you will have a great time and I'm looking forward to reading the trip report.