Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #11

Re: Got a quote on a Shop

buy (4) 40' containers and (2) 20' containers. Stack the two 20's at the back and a stack of 40's on each end of the 20's you can span the gap with a roof. You will then have 12,800 sq feet of tool storage and supplies and an 800 sq foot parking area.

cowboy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Well it's my turn now to build a parking spot for the toys. Poor old van has to sit in full sun when it's been hovering around 107 lately. Looks like I'll be able to get in the little door with the van.
Attached Thumbnails
shop P.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #13

Wow, Dave, that looks nice! You're really going to love it!

I never saw this thread before, but just for anyone thinking about it I'll share my experience.

I went with a 24'x36' Outback Steel (brand) building, marketed and sold as a DIY kit. It's a bolt together steel building, clear span and no welding. They are building these things huge now and I hope to build a bigger one on a piece of land one day.

I've got a total of about $23k in mine without my cost for time. I was able to build it over the course of a couple months with one or two helpers and just had to rent one tool, a material lift for the rafters.

I had to hire the concrete (about $6k) and the electric to pass ordinance here.

10'x10' center door, one window, 2 walk through doors.
Insulated with bubble foil (Reflectix) stuff.
8 skylights
full guttering
thick concrete for lift
100 amp electric service.
Very basic plumbing, floor drains and one sink, no bath.

I heat mine with a wood stove and my only regret is not fully air conditioning it (yet).
If you live in heat or humidity and spend much time in it I really recommend this.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
Site Team

Nice Dave.

Any plans for a lift? I took off work the last week while the wife was helping out her mom, and I probably spent about three days working on different vehicles, and then spent about four days recovering from the 90 degree temperature in the garage and from crawling in and under those vehicles.

As nice as it would be, I won't be doing AC in the garage but I am starting to think about adding a lift. My back would really thank me.

Herb
Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
Well I just don't know if there's going to be enough room. I'd like to do a loft in there for some storage. I'm sure with all the fees, taxes, and regulations to meet I'll probably exceed 60K. City made me pour a couple of approach paths that's ending up super costly.
Any thoughts on coating the cement inside?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote