Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Grumpy van gone...

With mixed emotions I sent my van off this morning to Austin for SMB to sell. As much as I loved it at first, the last couple years have seen next to ZERO mileage in the thing and it was time to let it go to someone who can hopefully get more love out of it.

A HUGE thanks to all contributors on here that helped me both design and get through some of my ignorant maintenance issues these past few years. I will remain here lurking from time to time, so I am still good for the beers I promised to various and sundry of you.

Moving to Colorado Springs in a few weeks, so anyone passing through and wanting to tip a cold one, give me a shout.

Thanks again, and happy trails everyone!!!

2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #2

So are you SadBadger now?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

Kinda. It was sad seeing the thing in the driveway getting dustier and dustier. Sad seeing it drive away, but a relief too... hopefully it will sell and I can start thinking about something that will double as a single daily driver and an occasional expedition lodge.

I am thinking I may do something like this when it is time to give up my Tacoma:

https://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/ca...ep-camper.html

Since whatever I will do in the next couple years is likely relegated to a weekend jaunt here and there, something like this or a stripped-down pickup bed poptop is likely to be fine for my purposes. I had had visions of massive live-in-the-SMB van jaunts to the Arctic Circle and summers in Alaska, but my work situation changed in a semi-not-so-swell way, so that kind of flexibility went out the window.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 01-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

I’ve been a van guy for as long as I can remember. A full blown SMB isn’t my style since I’m more of a pavement pounder.
You might do well with a regular conversion van. Remove the second row seating, add a small galley, keep the third row bench/bed and send us post cards from wherever you’re at
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
tlg

Garage
Know that was hard. Someone is going to score a great rig for sure. Safe travels.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by regis101 View Post
I’ve been a van guy for as long as I can remember. A full blown SMB isn’t my style since I’m more of a pavement pounder.
You might do well with a regular conversion van. Remove the second row seating, add a small galley, keep the third row bench/bed and send us post cards from wherever you’re at

Hah hah... one of the things I ended up NOT liking about my build (purely my own fault) was I had too much stuff in the van instead of a sparser "transformer" type layout like you are suggesting.

Oh well... No more extra vehicles for me for awhile. I don't want to drive a van as a daily, so I will have to go back to sleeping in the back of my pickup if I am out far enough from a hotel. Not seeing much of that kind of road trip in the near future anyway (choices - not anything bad or forced, at least).
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 02-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyBadger View Post
Hah hah... one of the things I ended up NOT liking about my build (purely my own fault) was I had too much stuff in the van instead of a sparser "transformer" type layout like you are suggesting.
I'd be curious to hear more detail about what you didn't like. I'm building my van up "transformer" style, but I'm constantly lured by the convenience of built-in features. Are there any things you absolutely hated, or conversely wouldn't have given up?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
I'd be curious to hear more detail about what you didn't like. I'm building my van up "transformer" style, but I'm constantly lured by the convenience of built-in features. Are there any things you absolutely hated, or conversely wouldn't have given up?

For my usage style, I regret putting in the water system and all the cabinetry. I think I would have been better served with a fridge and microwave cabinet up front - a la RB50 style, with perhaps some form of fold-down bunk (just me anyway). Maybe some floor tie-down tracks like someone here on the forum had. Nothing wrong with the cabinets I had, but as it turned out, I didn't really need them and felt they were in the way and an expense I could have saved (I loaded them with stuff I didn't need to have rattling around and could have just as easily stuffed into a couple plastic bins tied down as necessary). And I never used the upper bunk... I could have saved a couple $100 ignoring that too.

I used the outer box on the bumper, and the bumper storage, as well as the XL floor storage box (great for a semi-hidden, locked box for camera / gun / computer). I used the heater / furnace often. Wished I had had the extra AC when I briefly lived in the South. The solar panels were great - I was able to run my laptop, tunes, and fridge all day in the desert / Rocky Mtn sun out here.

I would also recommend the Fox shocks and steering stabilizer on a similar van / 4x4 conversion. Made a huge difference in driveability.

Does that help?
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
Old 02-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #9

Thanks Steve, that does help. Water system in particular is something I've struggled with, and I keep coming back to the K.I.S.S. principle. I've pretty much decided to stick to using removable water containers for now. It sucks that I have to dedicate valuable interior space for water jugs, but I like that they're easily removable for filling, cleaning, winterization, and transforming the van as needed (not to mention easy to scale depending on anticipated need).

Amazingly, my build is headed down the track of nearly everything you've suggested--which tells me it's worth considering the few you've mentioned that aren't already on my "definitely" list (outer box, XL storage box, and bumper storage). I need the extra 2 foot length of the EB for my family of four, and the thought of adding even more length to this behemoth for an outer storage box and bumper-mounted spare gives me pause. Realistically I don't see myself doing any crazy 4x4 work though, and the practicality is a big selling point.

I appreciate your insight, thanks for sharing your experience and opinion.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #10

Move to Colorado

Hi Grumpy Badger
I’m not far from you, if you’re still there. Would love to pick your brain on a few things since I am trying to redo a few things in my Sporty?
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote