Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #1

How did you hear about Sportsmobile Forum and more?

I was looking for information on a 2 person van RV that I could purchase secondhand next July after I attend the 2014 Studebaker National Meet in Dover Delaware.

I'm John Clements, age 54, from Adelaide, South Australia, and have 8 weeks in the States whilst my apartment is rebuilt. I came across Sportsmobile and then this forum.

It appears there are no dealers on the East coast, but I could buy from Indiana as the technical director of the Studebaker Drivers Club lives there and could advise on a quality vehicle.

My thoughts after reading a few topics are that a Ford LWB or EB van with a Diesel engine would be the best, preferably one properly serviced and maintained so I don't have to worry about breakdowns.

I'd need to buy from a dealer due to having to get my Aussie Bank to arrange the funds transfer, and presumably a warranty of some kind would be provided.

The van would need to be sold when I return home, as a van less than 25 years old would require a RHD conversion (25 - 30,000 Aussie dollars) and probably new interior as the US and Australian laws on plumbing, electrical and Propane (LPG) are different, let alone appliances such as TV's which won't work here.

I'd welcome suggestions on what might be best for me, I'm not considering going off-road just taking the "Road less travelled" as your (US) poet Robert Frost once wrote: "I took the road less travelled and that made all the difference."

Price isn't really an issue as I could buy new, but would lose too much selling so soon.

Apologies for the long post, but it covers everything.

I'm curious about where one can camp for the night, pull off the road and stay, or? I have heard of staying in Wal-Mart car parks, doesn't sound the best way to go though, maybe they get upset with folks doing this?

Regards from Australia

John Clements (Aussie)

Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #2

Re: How did you hear about Sportsmobile Forum?

John posted this in 'How did you hear about SportsmobileForum?'.

I copied it here so he could get more replies to his questions.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #3

I'm trying interpret Aussie's post...does he want to buy an SMB new from a dealer and then sell it just 8 weeks later to avoid Australian importation restrictions and conformance to Oz's RV rules?

If so, I'm thinking to myself, "Wow, he's got a lot disposable income!"

But I must be reading this wrong...or am I?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #4

I think he meant used dealer, in any case even Indiana wouldn't have it built until his trip was over. But a used dealer would be anywhere with an SMB, which are more rare used. In case there is confusion, the previously owned SMBs on the sportsmobile website are NOT at the location and the funds are not collected by SMB (nor do they inspect the vehicles nor provide warranty).

Overnight camping at Walmarts is a local issue, which means two Walmarts 10 minutes from each other may have different policies- and it's not necessarily the Walmart's policy, so asking inside may not prevent you from getting a ticket. That said, I stay in Walmart parking lots all the time- and have even done a few nights in one with no camping posted (I got lucky though I rolled through a day later and everybody was ticketed)

Generally if there is a cluster of RVs in the outer parking lot you're safe.

Walmart is only second to last in desperation parking though, last being truckstops among the big rigs. And that's only bad because of the noise.

Rest areas vary from state to state, and almost all of them have no overnight camping posted- however you're always allowed to have had to stop because of road fatigue and sleep for 8 hours. It's when you set up a tent and move into the bathroom they really have a problem. Still, it's a state to state thing- in Missouri I once made the mistake of trying to stay in a campground. The rest areas are way, way nicer and free.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
I'm trying interpret Aussie's post...does he want to buy an SMB new from a dealer and then sell it just 8 weeks later to avoid Australian importation restrictions and conformance to Oz's RV rules?

If so, I'm thinking to myself, "Wow, he's got a lot disposable income!"

But I must be reading this wrong...or am I?
My apologies, I wondered whether I could get a used SMB from a dealer with a warranty and sell it when I returned home.

The remarks re not bringing it home were to answer anyone considering asking " why not take it back with you?"

If I wanted such a vehicle here I can get a conversion company to import and convert a van to RHD then someone else to build the interior.

I have had a response relating to hiring a vehicle and saving lots of hassle and will explore that possibility.

Many thanks for the replies, it's great. I'm used to driving LHD vehicles as my daily driver is a 1966 Studebaker Daytona Sports Sedan, really fun to drive, 283 V8.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #6

Re: How did you hear about Sportsmobile Forum and more?

Welcome to group. Sounds like you are going to have a great adventure. Your idea of buying traveling around and then reselling the van is interesting. The hard part may be selling it before you need to head back to Australia. An alternative may be to rent an RV while you are here.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

Re: How did you hear about Sportsmobile Forum and more?

John, welcome and you may want to consider renting one for that period of time. There is a rental company in Colorado that rents our 4x4's, Tonto Trails, and John & Julie there can hook you up as that may be the way to go. Their contact info is: www.tontotrails.com and info@tontotrails.com

Hope you have a great adventure over here.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote