Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #11

Re: How do you clean your SMB floor?

There might be some clearance issues, I have the reflectix under the carpet and the toilet cabinet is tight and I had to put the porta potty on boards to level it with the floor. There is not much clearance for the door pantry either (but it would be better with a little friction so it stays put when cooking).

Looking forward to hearing how this fits under carpet.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
I use the interlocking foam squares that you can buy at auto stores or Costco to protect our floor.
Great idea! How thick is it? I would like to put that under my carpet!
That could be interesting. I have the loose carpet kit, but I wonder if the adding the foam squares would help with reducing noise and heat. Or, maybe it would make walking too "squishy". Please let us know how it goes.

Herb
I used that same HD foam and used it underneath the realistic walnut allure laminate when I redid the floor. Worked for me flipped with the diamonds pattern facing down and the flat side facing up with the laminate going over it. Didn't have to glue the laminate to the foam since the laminate interlocks self glued. Easy to clean, wipes or viva with water spray.

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #13

NRL we need a wider shot of that... walnut floor? Too cool!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #14

The foam, interlocking squares are 3/8" thick. Jage is absolutely correct that some cabinets may have clearance issues. We have an aisle type layout and luckily these cabinets are all at the rear of the van. So basically the foam squares go all the way back to the underfloor storage area, although I did have to cut a path out for one of the cabinets. We do not have the carpet overlay since we knew we would never use it.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We also have a center aisle configuration and we have the carpet overlay. Since the carpet overlay has some thickness, these might work as a floor cover when the occasion arrises to remove the carpet. We might be able to avoid the cabinet door issues if the carpet and pads are similar thickness.

Nice idea. I need ot measure the thickness of the carpet now.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #16
Site Team

"Borrowed" one of my son's foam squares from under his playground equipment, and tried it under the carpet. No squishy feeling at all, but I did discover that the fridge door would not clear the carpet with the foam. As it is, the fridge door just clears the carpet. I could use the foam from the fridge rearward, which I may still do. My carpet goes only to the end of the second row of rear Captain's seats, and not the bed platform/bench seat area, so there's still plenty of area that can be covered with the foam squares. The muffler is under the area that could be covered by the squares, so it may help with both noise and heat.

BTW, the foam squares were $12.97 for 32 sq-ft (8 - 2' x 2' squares) at my local Costco today. And yes, I returned the foam square to under my son's playground set.

Herb
Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #17
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
NRL we need a wider shot of that... walnut floor? Too cool!
Here is a wider shot of the walnut floor

My Cat, Midnight enjoying the flooring or more like wondering where his rug is at:

The floor is actually raised about 1/2 inch to hide the third seat bracket holes/bolts that go through the floor. There is two smaller flooring panels that cover them so I used the foam to make it flush before the flooring went on.
I'm working on getting the smaller flooring panels to slide open when I need to put in the third seat.. making it easy to slide the panels off part is not done yet.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote