Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #11

Re: How do you use your SMB?

Nice! The Adventure Pig and Zombie Killer out doing it!

Also makes a great snowshoeing base camp!

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #12

Likewise, our Sportsmobile exists to lead us on adventures away from pavement, visitor centers, and campgrounds. Ideals include a Baja beach all to ourselves, or a panoramic vista at the end of a rough 4x4 mining road.

Though this van is overkill (in terms of gas usage and expense) for urban uses -- the Sportsmobile (since we already have it) is also nice for driveway camping -- when visiting relatives who have limited guest facilities, or at outdoor weddings when we want to stay out late with our baby sleeping safely nearby in radio-monitor range.

For any roadtrips, we try to skip hotels and find a nice private logging road off the highway for camping.

-- Geoff
Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #13

My 1995 RB30 is 2WD, so I use it to visit state parks and national parks and keep on paved roads. In the Houston area my favorite parks are Galveston SP for camping practically on the beach, Pedernales Falls SP to enjoy the hill country, and Brazos Bend SP for a quick getaway. I've also camped at Yellowstone, Grand Canyon north and south rims, Bryce, Tetons, in the Bighorns, Zion, and at several Colorado state parks. I just returned from a easygoing fall trip to Petit Jean SP and Mount Magazine SP in Arkansas, and Montauk SP and Johnson's Shut-ins SP in Missouri. The SMB make traveling with my canine pals easy.
RB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #14

Garage
How do you use your SMB?

Mine is new to me but I plan to use to overnight to access early morning runs on Mt St Helens. I can go the night before and hit the hill before the crowd shows up. I bought it so I can do that and pull a trailer up the hill. The road is only barely plowed.

Brad
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #15

Like many others I like to use it to get off the pavement and then backpack even farther away. Find my van in this picture:

Anza Borrego DSP, Clark Valley / Rockhouse Canyon, that's Borrego Springs in the background.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #16

Our SMB wears many hats.

Most often, it is the family roadtrip vehicle for a family of 5 and one large dog. Any trip of more than 100 miles, and there are many, we take the SMB.

A few times per year it is the getaway vehicle for extended camping trips with the kids. We usually go with 1 or 2 other families. Those are dads and kids trips, although the moms have indicated they want in on the fun.

A few times per year, it is a remote area exploration vehicle for the kids and I. Again, usually with friends. Saline valley, white mountains, fish lakes valley.......etc. on these trips we are way out in BFE (which is the point of course), and we do need and use 4x4. I have gotten stuck before and now carry recovery gear

A once or twice, it is a dads only fun platform, that involves MTBs, fishing, shooting, backpacking......or other outdoor activity.

It certainly delivers on both the usefulness and fun fronts!

R
Old 11-18-2011, 02:04 AM   #17

How do you use your SMB?

The wife and I go camping in it at our local lake. Take it when we go to the recycler, and big grocery shopping, we take it to dinner sometimes and when I need to carry a load of drunk people as the sober driver I moabb the silver bullet smb. We have taken it to the drive in movies which was really great with the upgraded stereo system. We plan on going to china peak snow resort this year but I'm nervous about the lines freezing. Sometimes we just sleep in it in the driveway. We absolutely love our smb.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #18

Until you re-route the water lines they will freeze in really cold temps. So far I have had frozen pipes while camping on many occasions. No broken lines (yet), just an inconvenience. Why SMB routes the water lines the way the they do i'll never know.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #19

Our SMB wears many hats too. WE use it as a base camp for skiing and sleeping overnight on the mountain. We use it for camping and for biking. We use it for longer exploration trips and also for some gnarly road/backcountry route finding. It is a great rig for all these uses.

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #20

And of course a short video of some road exploration....

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote