Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #21

Re: HOW MUCH DO YOU USE YOUR SMB?

Obviously, with 115 days a year in his Sporty, danamrak is having too much fun.

Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Montana
Of the people I know in town, maybe one or two take their trailers out more than a couple of times a year. The newer big 35-foot trailer I can see in back has been out three nights this year, and was used not at all during the previous two years. I simply don't get it.

True, these camping vehicles cost much less than a class B RV, but why would you purchase one and use it as a lawn ornament? Perhaps it provides a sense of security to think that some year it might actually get used. I don't know.

But I still wonder about those travel trailers being used as long term lawn ornaments.
Maybe they do like my dad did...that was to get away from mom and drink beer. I used to sneak in the back to the trailer with a 12 pack, have a couple with him, then drive up front, say hi to mom. Then we would have a couple in front of mom and soon retire to the trailer where the secret stash was. See Ed, those trailers do have a purpose

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #23

Quote:
. . . why would you purchase one and use it as a lawn ornament? Perhaps it provides a sense of security to think that some year it might actually get used. I don't know.
I would hazard a guess that the idea of the ability to hook up and go is one of the benefits of ownership. Actually going is obviously the real reason for ownership, but there is a lot of joy in just thinking about going. Probably doesn't apply to most contributers to this thread, who are actually going, but I understand the mindset of the people that want to go, and I see how having the toys gives their plans of going focus.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #24

Update: We are now up to 52 nights in the SMB in the last 8 months! Don't think we'll catch up with danamrak though.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #25

I am still looking for my first SMB, but what made me decide to finally get one was the fact that I spend from April 9th to August 25th travelling around and sleeping in my 2006 RAV4. Went from Salt Lake to Pensacola, Florida to Fairbanks and Anchorage, AK, back thru Portland, Yosemite, and Bishop to SLC again. Time for a much needed upgrade. I plan on moving into an SMB and committing at least 12-18 months full time. I am not retired, but work from my laptop anywhere.
ecchastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecchastang
I am still looking for my first SMB, but what made me decide to finally get one was the fact that I spend from April 9th to August 25th travelling around and sleeping in my 2006 RAV4. Went from Salt Lake to Pensacola, Florida to Fairbanks and Anchorage, AK, back thru Portland, Yosemite, and Bishop to SLC again. Time for a much needed upgrade. I plan on moving into an SMB and committing at least 12-18 months full time. I am not retired, but work from my laptop anywhere.
My story is similar: looked at SMBs for a long time (like, nearly 10 years), all the while doing extended camping/road trips (though not up to Alaska), sleeping in a Ford Explorer. I finally decided to go for an SMB and snagged an RB50. Eventually I went fulltime for 9 months (with WiFI and laptop, I can work from anywhere). Then I got a work opportunity I couldn't turn down, but it wasn't SMB-ownership compatible unless I wanted to store it for 2-3 years! Sold it. And missed it terribly.

In 10 months I'll be a digital nomad again, I hope. Meanwhile I'm building a homebrew, testing floorplans and ideas (RB50 didn't quite work for me.YMMV).

Ecchastang -- fulltiming in an SMB is a definite challenge, but do-able. As one of my editors said, "You can live OUT of a Class B for a long time, but you can live IN a Class C." True, but I like the maneuverability and relative stealth of a van. I found the biggest problem was getting a WiFi signal in many of the NFS places I wanted to roam/camp!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #27

I get a chuckle reading about sleeping in a RAV4 or a Ford Explorer for long trips. I camped in back of our old Dodge Dakota pickup for years, which seemed luxurious at the time, but was basically very primitive. In bad weather, I would move all of the gear out of the back, put the food in the cab (away from bears) and cover the rest with a tarp to make room for sleeping pads, people and dogs. Most of times we just camped in a backpacking tent.

But it got old loading and unloading the back of a pickup, not to speak of sleeping on the ground with wet, slimey labradogs. So I spent nearly $100K on a new Sportsmobile so we can sleep off the ground with wet, slimey labradogs.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
.... So I spent nearly $100K on a new Sportsmobile so we can sleep off the ground with wet, slimey labradogs.
and they appreciate it!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #29

In My RAV4, I had snow several times in the Canadian Rockies, 13 straight days of rain in kentucky rock climbing, and 100+ temperatures in Portland area. I am ready for an upgrade where I dont have to move everything into the front to sleep.
ecchastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #30

I am reminded of a video of one of the early Sportsmobile Rallys. (When we ordered our SMB, we purchased VHS tapes for the prior Rallys and watched them several times while waiting the 6 months for ours to be built.) The cameraman/producer/interviewer was talking to a couple about how much they used their Sportsmobile. The answer...the only trip they took in the previous year was the one to the Sportsmobile Rally...