Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

How tough are the pop up roofs to lift?

I just officially graduated to old fart status with an unfixable shoulder injury, and

I haven't deployed a pop up roof since my vw bus in the seventies.

I'm about 6'5 and 250 lbs, and was fairly good at lifting and lugging heavy things about.

So, my question- pop up roof- one arm job or not?

(Actually,the worst thing about the whole deal is that I've lost my left jab... now I'm gonna have to be polite to everyone I encounter.)

zardac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #2

Re: How tough are the pop up roofs to lift?

I have two reasonably good arms and I find a manual pop top difficult to raise and lower. We are going w/ electric to save my neck and back. ymmv.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #3

The hard part is the first 6 to 8", then it gets easier. I use a ratchetting cargo bar to raise my manual top the first six to 8". The push with my arms from there.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #4

Without a help from the shoulder it will be a hard job. I always open it with the shoulder.
Depending on the floorplan you can lay on the goucho and use your leg to open it the first 5"
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #5

Garage

Think of how long you intend to keep your SMB, the older more injurious YOU get, the harder it WILL be! Are you having Roof racks with Cargo Box, Extra solar panel, Roof lighting, Ski's? Go with electric!
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
Think of how long you intend to keep your SMB, the older more injurious YOU get, the harder it WILL be! Are you having Roof racks with Cargo Box, Extra solar panel, Roof lighting, Ski's? Go with electric!
X-10!

Also add what the resale value between the two are. An electric top is a good selling point. Adding a E-top is more expensive if you want to do it down the road. There are some tools out there to assist in lifting the top that can be used and I think Aluminess was working on a portable lifting tool but I'm not sure if that fell through or not. SMB once sold an electric helper lift at one time but those are long gone IIRC.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug
X-10!

Also add what the resale value between the two are. An electric top is a good selling point. Adding a E-top is more expensive if you want to do it down the road. There are some tools out there to assist in lifting the top that can be used and I think Aluminess was working on a portable lifting tool but I'm not sure if that fell through or not. SMB once sold an electric helper lift at one time but those are long gone IIRC.
x10 more. I have a roof box and a solar panel so mine is heavier, but regardless it's the awkward position you have to get in to lift a pop top (I'm 6'2"). I have to hunch over and push with my neck and the side of my head. It is NOT ideal. Get the electric lift. I've tried alternate methods of getting on my knees and pushing up with both arms extended. That didn't work either. I also experimented with my rather strong 5'6" wife to see if her shorter height and Herculean strength could push it up easier. No dice.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #8

Properly adjusted, the poptop is not bad to open/close. If you want to have a variable load on top (kayak or?) then it will be very difficult either loaded (opening) or unloaded (closing).

I have a manual top and don't want or need an electric lift for it.

But, since I'm almost 70 I will probably either get a fixed hitop or electric lift on my next SMB. Just in case.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

I'm surprised by the stories of hard-opening tops. My SMB has a 1998 manual PH top and it's really easy to open it (even though I'm 5'9"), even with the PH bed hanging from the roof (that thing is pretty heavy on its own). I don't have anything extra on top of the roof, so I'm sure that would make things harder, but it seems like a "naked" roof should not be that challenging to open.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #10

I'm 5' 6" and lift mainly with my head, back, and legs. I never seem to get my arms in a position that feels right (overhand or underhand) to push with much force. I position my head on the roof, legs kind of like a squat, place my hands on the handles, then start pushing. Nothing much happens until I remind myself to push with my legs.

MAKE SURE A DOOR OR WINDOW IS OPEN, I open a door because it's closer and in my mind more air comes in. One time I forgot, and couldn't believe I lost so much leg strength in one day. Then realized I hadn't opened the door ... I opened it and my strength came back. It's been a few months, so hope I can still lift it when spring comes. Guess it couldn't hurt for me to get in a bit more walking and strength training before then, though.