Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Site Team

Knights of Heroes

All, I'm making this post somewhat hesitantly. I fully support the effort below, and I've personally already donated to it, but I'm hesitant to set a precedent for using this forum as a place to raise money, even if for a worthy cause. Subject matter aside, if you feel this thread is not appropriate for this forum, please PM me and I will remove it.

Some background;
I've been part of SoCal Broncos for almost as long as I've owned my Bronco (about 15 years), and still consider myself a member even though I'm no longer in California. We're a very loose group with no official rules, no elected positions, and no formality at all, but we support each other to the end.

One of our members, CAPT Alan Rowe, was killed in Iraq by an IED (on his fourth overseas deployment) in Sept 2004, and was posthumously promoted in rank to Major. Besides a wife, Major Rowe left behind a 5 year old son Blake and a 3 year old daughter Caitlin. We installed an unsanctioned, unapproved memorial plaque just outside of Big Bear, CA.

His wife and family stayed in Yucca Valley, with his wife becoming involved in local land use issues and politics, including helping prevent the outright annexation of the Johnson Valley area by the Marine Corps, eventually resulting in a shared use agreement for a portion of the area,rather than an out and out loss to the off-roading community. His wife was eventually elected to the Yucca Valley city council and as Mayor. Fast forward to today, and Alan Rowe's son Blake is now 17.

Here is a copy of the e-mails that are being circulated at least around SoCal Broncos, that describes his efforts far better than I could ever do.

"Rowe Cabin

Knights of Heroes Camp

Knights of Heroes is a camp I have attended for the past 10 years. It was started by Lt Col (Ret) Steve Harrold in January of 2007. He did so to commemorate the life of a friend and former pilot, Major Troy Lee "Trojan" Gilbert, who was killed during combat operations while flying his F-16 to protect ground troops being overrun by the enemy in the Al-Anbar Province, Iraq on November 27, 2006. At the time of his death, Major Gilbert was a husband and father of five children. Each summer, the children of fallen military from across the nation are invited to attend the one-week camp at absolutely no cost. This camp helps mentor us in the absence of our fathers.

Through the years we have rented a Boy Scout camp, but this past year Knights of Heroes was able to buy land in Colorado where we now hold our camp. We do however need cabins to stay in while we are there (this past year we stayed in tents or camped outside). Last April I was invited out to Colorado to help renovate and build cabins. I spent a long weekend working with various contractors who donated their time, and we worked together to build cabins for our summer camp. It was a great experience for me as I learned lots of things about construction, and it was a way for me to give back to a camp that has given me so much.

Knights of Heroes still needs to build a few more cabins to accommodate all of the kids who attend the camp, and I am hopeful I will be able to go back again this spring to build them. The total construction cost of each cabin is $20,000, and I wanted to try and raise that amount so I could dedicate a cabin to my dad. The cabin would be used by all campers, but it would have a plaque on it honoring my dad, Captain Alan Rowe, who was killed in Iraq in 2004. The costs of the cabin will include a new septic that seven of the cabins will share, a bathroom, concrete foundation, electrical, plumbing, design, permits, and new furniture.

It would be great if you would consider making a donation toward the building of the cabin in honor my dad, Captain Alan Rowe. I will send email updates and pictures once I have raised enough money to start construction.
Please share this with your family, friends or organizations (units, squadrons, churches, veteran’s groups, etc.) that you are a part of, to see if they would consider making a donation. I feel confident that together, we can reach the goal of $20,000 to build this cabin. Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,

Blake Rowe"

"I am working on a service project for Knights of Heroes building cabins. Every summer I go to Colorado for a week to a camp for kids whose dads have died in service to their country. I just finished my last summer as a "camper", and next year I want to go back as a mentor to younger boys whose dads have also died.

The camp recently purchased land in Colorado, and they are trying to build cabins on there for the boys (I have attached a blueprint of the cabin). Last April I flew back to Colorado to help build them one, and they still need more. I decided to try and raise enough money to build one and dedicate it to my dad in his honor. If you'd like to help me, I would really appreciate it! I have put together a website with more details and a link to be able to donate.

Today would have been my dad's 48th birthday, so this is my gift to him. Any amount you can help donate, no matter how small, would help get me that much closer to my goal . Thank you in advance for your help, and please feel free to pass this along to anyone else.

Here is the link to my page:

Rowe Cabin - Home

Sincerely,

Blake Rowe"

Here is a link to the Foundation in general.
Knights of Heroes Foundation | Home

Herb

Old 10-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #2

Awesome.

The message you BLAH have entered is BLAH too short. Please BLAHlengthen your message to BLAH at least 10 characters.
86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote