Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #11

Re: Looking for Ammonites

I know you're looking for Ammonites but I thought I'd post up a random happenstance that may be of interest to you, or anyone else. We were SMB-wandering out in the hinter-roads of SW Utah and South East-Central Nevada and came across many unexpectedly interesting things, one of them being Oak Spring Summit Trilobite area:
http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/ely_f...ollecting.html
http://goo.gl/maps/F0JSx

My wife had never heard of trilobites but I think she had even more fun than I did digging and finding them. They were everywhere. Pretty cool to hold something in your hand that was alive 500 million years ago.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Cool stuff, I'll have to file that location away for a future visit.

I thought I had posted some pics of the trilobites that my son and I found last year in Utah (commercial quarry), but I couldn't locate the post or the pics on this forum. Some are free from the rock, some are not (removal could cause breakage). Yeah, the fact that these were alive hundreds of millions of years before the dinosaurs is neat.

Herb
Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #13

BroncoHauler, here's a scan of the Lovelock, Nevada area from the Nevada Benchmark Map Atlas. Over on the right side, just to the northwest of Buffalo Springs, you'll see "Fossil Hill" marked. Can't speak from personal experience but I have a buddy whose wife is a school teacher and she takes her students on field trips to this Fossil Hill. He's shown me photos of the giant "snail" fossils they've found - got to be 8" in diameter.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #14
Site Team

Thanks!

Herb
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Site Team

Back in late January, I asked my son if I could have one of the sharkteeth that we found, to have it made into a necklace that he could give my wife for Valentine's Day. He immediately volunteered the largest tooth we found (lower left of the pic in the Sharktooth Hill post above). I found someone off of Etsy.com who makes sharkteeth into necklaces, and I asked if he could make one from a tooth that I sent him. He did a great job and did it very quickly.

My son gave it to his mom on Valentine's Day, and it went over very well. She loves to wear it all the time, and likes to tell people how my son and I found the tooth ourselves.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #16

Looking for Ammonites

Very nice. Great gift and story for her to tell. Moms love to brag about their kids.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

A good friend and racing buddy of mine has been to Baja many times in search of Ammonites and has returned with many awesome finds - these are his four finest. They represent a lot of hard work and even more luck. They really are beautiful in person displayed in his house - thought you would enjoy them.
Attached Thumbnails
Dave\'s Ammonites 01.jpg   Dave\'s Ammonites 02.jpg   Dave\'s Ammonites 03.jpg  

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #18

More
Attached Thumbnails
Dave\'s Ammonites 03a.jpg   Dave\'s Ammonites 04.jpg  

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #19
Site Team

WOW !

Thanks for sharing those pics. I bet they looked quite a bit different when he first found them.

Herb
Old 04-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #20

He has unfinished and broken ones laying around his yard in the flower beds.

AgileOffRoad.com