Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Garage
Mesh-backs shatter camp tranquility

We had a strange encounter a couple of weeks ago, camping 20 miles south of John Day, OR about 5 miles from the paved highway. We were in a dispersed campsite next to a meadow on a Friday night. The campsite hadn't seen much if any use since last hunting season. The campsite was on a dead-end spur road about 1/4 mile from a more main dirt road.

About 11pm we had been in bed for a while and a vehicle came part way up the spur road, turned around by climbing both berms, and drove away. About an hour later the vehicle came back at fairly high speed, drove through our campsite completely around the van, then left at high speed with a couple of loud laughs.

Of course neither of us could sleep after that. I don't know what mrs. dhally was thinking about, but my thoughts were of rocket propelled grenades.

Any words of wisdom or similar experiences?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Mesh-backs shatter camp tranquility

I'd guess a couple of local kids having what they consider to be fun (drinking/smoking in the woods). Scary stuff though, especially when we're trying to get away from stuff like that in the first place.

Herb
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Team

BTW, clearly I'm not "with it" as I had to look up what a mesh-back was. I wasn't sure what to expect, and I was hoping it wasn't anything I'd regret looking up, but here's what I found in the Urban Dictionary.

MESHBACK

In Missouri, a meshback is the kind of inbred, white-trash, inbred loser who wears a cheap adjustable baseball cap whose back half is made of nylon mesh. The hats tend to advertise trucking companies, fast food restaurants, or agricultural enterprises.

Herb
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
MESHBACK
In Missouri, a meshback is the kind of inbred, white-trash, inbred loser who wears a cheap adjustable baseball cap whose back half is made of nylon mesh. The hats tend to advertise trucking companies, fast food restaurants, or agricultural enterprises.

I just thought it was roughly equivalent to "redneck".

I never saw the people in the vehicle, it is just my imagination having them wearing those hats. But it's not a long reach, since EVERBODY in John Day wears that kind of hat! Most of them upstanding citizens just trying to keep their heads cool.

Several years ago, we were driving through the same area in the Spring, along a ridge road. Every couple miles, there was a swale with green grass and some seasonal mud going down the hill. Every swale had a huge set of mudder tire trenches down and back.