Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan View Post
This is from an article I read yesterday in Backpacker magazine. It was news to me.
Thats interesting for sure. What are some tips you guys have for camping and boondocking alone? This is what worries me the most. Theft. Assault. Etc

Youngbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbuck View Post
Thats interesting for sure. What are some tips you guys have for camping and boondocking alone? This is what worries me the most. Theft. Assault. Etc
I talked to one of our police Sergeants about similar concerns several years ago and he suggested bear spray (not pepper spray which will just get someone mad). He said that bear spray will knock someone on their butt. REI even carries it.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #23

I don't worry about it. Never had a problem in van or on motorcycle, in the 15-20 countries I've camped in.

I suppose it's possible to have an issue, but I think my chances are better at getting hit by lightning.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #24

Garage
Yeah I'm not particularly concerned about it either. I carry bear spray... For bears.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #25

Agreed. I'm not in to guns and certainly don't want to try to keep up with the regs for crossing all the state lines I cross with one. I carry bear spray for bears, but it could always be used for other reasons. Anyway, I've never had a problem either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
I've been in a few bad situations and have mixed feeling on the subject. The problem with bear spray is wind and heat. Not that I've had a can explode in my van while it sits in 100+ degree weather, but being hit with the stuff (and it is mean stuff) it's the last thing I want going off inside the van. Still depending how it's handled, bear spray is just another tool that can be used in extra defense carry. The news media makes you feel like the whole world is unsafe but do you even know anybody that has had to use a gun in their home to protect themselves? Rare but it happens and being guns do save lives at times, I'd never be anti gun. But like any tool, you need to know when, where and how to use it plus making sure it doesn't bite you back. One round can cost you your piece of mind and/or thousands of dollars. For a lot of people the best defense might be a good dog.
Anyway being this is going off topic a bit here is a link to extra defense carry:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ad.php?t=11839

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #27

Ive always carried bear spray while backpacking and have never carried any guns in a vehicle although I do have firearms in my house. My backpacking equipment stays in the van so I've got that covered. But just in the past couple months there have been a series of events that has made me rethink my families security.

In September my work van was broken into and I had $2000 worth of tools stolen. Thanks to the police almost everything that was stolen was recovered. But keep in mind that this happened in my driveway while I was home. Meth and other drugs are running pretty rampant in the area where we live and the people that are under the influence of these drugs are very unpredictable.

In late November my elderly aunt and uncles home in Arkansas was burglarized. Their lives were taken in the process. The thieves stole their truck to carry off the items they stole. They then set fire to the house and later the truck. Here's a few links to the story if you want to read more. http://www.baxterbulletin.com/story/...fire/75530634/
http://www.baxterbulletin.com/story/...ices/75513924/

While at work in mid December we ran a routine call on a man who was complaining of chest pain. Once we got inside the house he became very violent and went for his night stand drawer. It took four good sized guys to hold him down until the police arrived. Later we found out that the guy was high on PCP and meth and that there was a gun in his drawer that he was reaching for.

So with all that being said I've decided to carry everywhere I go. I have a ruger lcp 380 that fits nicely in my front pocket and thanks to a pocket clip it looks a lot like a knife.
thestoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:21 AM   #28
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Personal security is becoming more and more of a concern for nearly everyone. Our already stretched thin police forces can't be everywhere and the fact is even 9-1-1 calls can take up to 2 minutes for assistance to arrive. Doesn't sound like too long until you more fully ponder just how much an eternity that is when eminent threats are upon you.

Deciding to carry or not relies on a single and rather simple question, "what would your immediate FIRST reaction be to someone assaulting you/your family/your home/". An HONEST answer tends to determine whether taking this step is advisable for you.

Assuring personal safety---or minimizing risk to a large degree--regardless where you are is a matter of preparedness or situation awareness as you go about your life. Sounds a bit ominous and paranoid perhaps but going from the typical lost lamb in the woods state of mind to at least improving awareness of your surroundings can be learned, the more you practice it the better prepared you'll be.

Life for us has changed and sadly not about to get better so we're better off being prepared for those "what if......" moments. I don't mean to sound so fatalistic or fearful but I am reminded of a humorous take on Psalm 23:4, oft seen as a military motto: Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I fear no evil...............coz I'm the baddest mofo there!"

Situational awareness----the real key to life!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #29

good to hear the ranger is doing ok. whole issue is a drag.

My wife and I like to get off the beaten track (forestry trail) though we've turned it down a notch last couple years. We do carry bear spray cuz we camp in their neighborhood. As a poster said the real thing hurts like the dickens. I accidentally got a good hit in the face and lungs. For about 5 or so minutes I honestly thought it would be better to just pass out or end it right there. My wife helped me get under a shower and it wasn't until about the 30 minute or so mark that I could actually see again. From that I know that IF some one his hit in the face with the stuff they aren't going to be in any shape to bother anyone.

...That said... I really don't want to live my life pondering the what if's. But life does happen.

Happy New Year,
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 AM   #30

This was national news cuz it was rare.

But I live in Oakland, so my survival chances rise pretty much every time I leave home.