Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 07:54 PM   #11

Thanks daveb I’ll take a peek for rust . I haven’t found any on my van yet so I hope none is under the trim . And yes I’m looking at all trees as suspect now .

Old 06-09-2019, 04:53 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER View Post
I just got my first estimate on a new windshield. I started with a local family owned shop with good reviews right down the road from me. He quoted me 495.00$ Yikes �� out the door . This seems a little high to me ?
I'm in the auto/truck glass biz and yes that price is a bit steep even for your area. You do want to avoid Safelite in case there is ANY rust showing around the windshield opening---they'll refuse to do the job until that's repaired. If they encounter any rust under the glass or on the the pinchweld they'll stop working, tell you they can't proceed until that's fixed also.

Better independent shops are fully aware and prepared to handle small rust spots, those that haven't yet eaten through the metal. Proper light removal and applying a special bare metal primer before actual windshield installation is all that's necessary in 99% of cases. As for that price......

I'd look for other shops with good reviews and close enough to do this replacement. $300 would be more in line with normal pricing---tops would not exceed $350. The most important thing for most people would be the reputation for handling after-installation issues, second consideration should be price. Don't go with the cheapest provider---its not the best policy IMHO.

I would charge someone here about $250 for this same job FWIW. Sadly my travel fees from Ohio to you would be a bit steep.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Hippie Van 1.0 - lesson learned - don't park your SMB in the driveway beside a walnut tree in a windstorm.
Attached Thumbnails
Hippie Van 1.0 1.jpg   Hippie Van 1.0 3.jpg   Hippie Van 1.0 2.jpg  
Old 06-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #14

Thanks JWA . My neighbor just arranged for a independent glass guy with great reviews to come install it in my driveway Monday evening. I imagine them coming out to me bumped the price a bit . He quoted 350.00$ out the door. And said he might fix some rock chips on my neighbors car while he is here .

Lane
Old 06-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #15

Dang sorry about the van it looks like it was a total loss ? I guess I got off easy . I am going to have tree paranoia for a while I imagine after this .
Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #16
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER View Post
Thanks JWA . My neighbor just arranged for a independent glass guy with great reviews to come install it in my driveway Monday evening. I imagine them coming out to me bumped the price a bit . He quoted 350.00$ out the door. And said he might fix some rock chips on my neighbors car while he is here .

Lane
Sounds good Lane---your neighbor seems like a good guy to have in the neighborhood.

I don't know how far away your glass guy is but probably not far enough away to justify almost $150 extra charges.

Oddly enough when I got into auto/truck glass it was (trying) to do chip repair exclusively. In 1989 that wasn't popular enough )apart from used cars for no money) to make a living at it----so had to morph into full replacements. I no longer do chip repair because in my market its just not cost effective or a good idea.

Good luck finishing up this storm damage!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #17

Thanks JWA . I got the new windshield installed last evening. He started at 6pm and finished up by 9pm then did some chips on my neighbors car till about 10pm ... I came out to check on him a couple times to ask if he needed anything and set him up with some extra lighting when it got dark .

We chatted a bit . He was a cool young guy maybe 30 or so that quit his corporate 9 to 5 in a cubicle, then took over his grampas glass business . He said he loves being a glass guy working by his own schedule! Just one guy working out of a Chevy express van. He said if any problems with the install it is warrantied and he’ll come fix it free . It seems he was very thorough and did a good job I took a peek for rust while the window was out and saw none . The glass he installed is a Benson Lamishield I hope that’s a good one !

Appreciate all your advice, this forum saved my neighbor 145.00$ he was fully prepared to pay 495 .. as we were both clueless
Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
JWA

That's great to hear Lane----on all fronts in fact. Not sure why your glass guy took so long to do that job---I'm slow with those but not quite that slow.

Also great hearing he's out on his own---honestly that's just about the only real job security available here in the USA these days. With the economy undergoing in huge change being in a necessary service business where we're in control of our own destiny means we'll probably do well going forward. As more and more jobs focus away from mechanical repairs etc those who build and repair things will command better payment for their efforts and knowledge.

Also great hearing I was able to help out even if just a little--that's one reason I'm on any truck related forum.

J W