Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Neighbors trees.....

What’s up fellas .Heard a strange noise in the midlle of the night that woke me up last night. Walked around the house then figured it was nothing so went back to bed . Got up at 4:30am for work then headed downstairs with my coffee to jump in the van and greeted with this nightmare . I almost crapped my pants when i saw my baby in the driveway 😫

Neighbors damn tree dumped a huge limb across the front of my van 😤 it was very dark out but this sucker was a foot thick at least and heavy as hell . I didn’t want to make any more damage and I was late for work so jumped in a Uber and went to work . Considered calling in sick and busting out the chainsaw ,But I’m in the suburbs and everyone would of freaked out at 4 in the morning .

Stressing all day wondering what damage might be hidden under that mess . Maybe huge dings and dents? My neighbors is a pretty good dude and he took the day off and cleaned up everything quite well. When I got home and inspected the van besides scratches all I ended up with is a busted windshield . He paid for my Uber and will pay for a new windshield and a outside detail . I’m quite relieved.

Now I gotta pull up a thread on here I saw the other day about new windshields . LoL
Attached Thumbnails
533FED47-2209-4BA5-B4EE-6F9E73AA3ED2.jpg   5E447496-49CB-4EA4-93A4-184B95508EFD.jpg  

PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

Sorry to hear this! Your neighbor sounds like a solid dude, as legally when your tree or limb falls on a neighbor’s property it’s not your responsibility.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #3

Thanks Brian . He’s definitely a good dude for that . From what I gathered everyone has a different answer/opinion on who’s responsible for the tree and it’s kind of confusing to me ? This tree has had limbs fall off it 3 times I recall in the past 10 years or so . The last time it landed on my old z71 hood and fender and dented them . I told him not to worry about it because the truck was 20 years old .
Old 06-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #4

from https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-who-pays.html

"Who Is Responsible for Fallen Tree Damage?
In most states, if your tree or any part of it falls on your neighbors’ property and causes damage to their property through no fault of your own (due to a snow storm, winds, hurricane, or another so-called “act of God”), you are not responsible. Your neighbors will have to file a claim with their own property insurer if they want to be reimbursed for their loss.

If, however, the tree that you own, or a branch from it, fell as a result of your negligence (for example, an overhanging branch had been dead for years and your neighbors had been complaining about it for nearly as long but you neglected to have it cut down), you are liable."

I had a large Pin Oak come down in wind storm a couple of years ago. One section went into my neighbors yard, one section came down in my hard. I was not liable for the damage or removal in his yard, my insurance covered the part that came down in my yard. What the insurance did not cover was removing the still large section of tree that remained. That was way more than the damage, but if it came down at a future date, I could have been held liable for the damage.

Glad to see it came out as good as it did.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:58 PM   #5

Bummer about the windshield. Great to hear there are still good neighbors these days. We are lucky to have great neighbors and it makes a huge difference. Hope you are fixed up quickly and glad nobody was injured.

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:22 AM   #6

Thanks Scalf and KTM. I was pretty stressed working a 12 hour shift while knowing that tree was just laying across my front end all day . I actually have been paranoid about trees falling on my rig for a while, its my worst nightmare . Very glad of the outcome and feeling lucky I have a good neighbor. I will make sure he understands how kind that was of him . ��

Ps . I did have this funny thought running through my head all day , that if when I got home and the van roof was dented in badly .I guess I was going to “HAVE” to get a poptop roof installed ...��
Old 06-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRERUNNERCAMPERVANNER View Post
Ps . I did have this funny thought running through my head all day , that if when I got home and the van roof was dented in badly .I guess I was going to “HAVE” to get a poptop roof installed ...��
Like your attitude...lemons to lemonade!
Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #8

I just got my first estimate on a new windshield. I started with a local family owned shop with good reviews right down the road from me. He quoted me 495.00$ Yikes 😬 out the door . This seems a little high to me ?
Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #9

A neighbors tree fell on my brothers house during a storm. $100,000+ damage to my brothers house. Neighbors responsibility stopped at the lot line. From the lot line to his house including his house covered by brothers home owners insurance. Michigan.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage
Make sure they do a good install. I know on my windshield that some questionable rust is under the trim that should be cleaned up prior to the new windshield installation. Not sure if one of those windshield replacement companies do anything but install a new window.

Glad to here you dodged the bullet body damage wise. I've been turned into a light sleeper around tall trees in high winds with the top popped.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote