Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Site Team

Garage
New bicycle mechanic in town; upcoming event

There's a new mechanic one of our local bike shops:

http://www.outsideonline.com/featured-v ... trong.html

And info on Outside Bike & Brew, an upcoming mtn biking event folks may be interested in:

http://outsidesantafe.com/

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Re: New bicycle mechanic in town; upcoming event

I'm surprised Lance remembers how to fix a flat. I thought he was just going to raise his hand and wait for the team car to show up and give him a new wheel...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Sweet Don! It's good to see him with a sense of humor about things. He's still the greatest of all time IMO. If they were all dopin', he was still first!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I'm surprised Lance remembers how to fix a flat. I thought he was just going to raise his hand and wait for the team car to show up and give him a new wheel...
Those were the days.

The folks at Broken Spoke report everyone had a great time and he fit right in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Sweet Don! It's good to see him with a sense of humor about things. He's still the greatest of all time IMO. If they were all dopin', he was still first!

There's truth to that. And, he was still a cancer survivor. Just playing by the unwritten rules of the game.

I was pleasantly surprised to see him working with Outside. I think they were on the outs after the magazine published Daniel Coyle's story about Tyler Hamilton's initial allegations and ran an unflattering cover shot of Lance with scandal news on the Floyd Landis rumors.

Speaking of Outside, it looks like their Bikes and Beer event next month will be a hit. So, all bicyclists in the neighborhood should stop by.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #5

Yep, I read It's Not About the Bike. Phenomenal story. I don't condone what he/they did, but that side of him is important to remember.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

I was over in 2004 and 2005 to watch the Tour de France, seeing Lance win both for "the record." The TdF is an amazing spectacle to behold if you ever get the chance. I was lucky to go as a bike mechanic/guide/van driver for a commercial tour group that followed the Tour around, so it was a paid vacation.

I'm conflicted about Lance at this point. He's obviously a pompous ass, and was a doper/cheater, but at the time so were all his rivals. Stripping him of the Tour wins seems a bit disingenuous when pretty much the entire peloton was cheating at the time.

Here's a photo I took on top of the Galibier mountain stage in 2005, with Santiago Botero coming across the climb first (another admitted doper). I love the look of pain and concentration on his face, and the crowd cheering. Encapsulates the Tour de France for me.

Attached Thumbnails
botero_lg.jpg  
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #7

Hey, that's not fixing a flat, that's just replacing the tube. Whatever happened to the little piece of sandpaper, the glue and the patches?

Grumble, grumble, maybe I'm just showing my age... does anyone other than me actually fix a flat anymore?
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
Hey, that's not fixing a flat, that's just replacing the tube. Whatever happened to the little piece of sandpaper, the glue and the patches?

Grumble, grumble, maybe I'm just showing my age... does anyone other than me actually fix a flat anymore?
Not a chance, because flats only happen to me during organized events, when I'm in a hurry.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #9

Lance should go back into the hole from whence he recently emerged.

I could forgive someone for doping in pro bike racing. But Armstrong not only doped, he lied and lied and lied about it when he could've come clean and helped not only himself, but the sport (and as a former amateur racer, race director, and fan, I care about the sport).

But this sociopathic narcissist also cheated his sponsors and ruined the lives of lots of other riders. He dragged former teammates through hell, including guys who sacrificed a lot to help him win. The trail of destruction he left behind is immense (not to mention the criminal cases and lawsuits).

He's a cowardly punk who never does anything unless it's 100% self-serving. Take some time to read the WADA report; it's all there.

And this is far from over. Armstrong reportedly has named those who were aware of his doping, after years of denial. That includes coaches (all the way back to Chris Carmichael), doctors (Ferarri, surprise surprise) and even masseurs and a courier. It's good that he's finally being truthful (although I expect that's only because he was under oath, and his credibility is rather shot), but it's too little too late to redeem him.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #10

He should return the apron.
05 Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote