Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Site Team

New Mexico SMB forum moderator

Well, I guess it's official, there's another SMB moderator living in New Mexico. What's the world coming to?

I've been living in southern New Mexico for a few weeks now, and last week I drove 450 miles back to Ventura, helped the wife and son finalize the pack up and sale of our house, and then caravaned 450 miles back to southern NM and moved into our temporary house while we start shopping for a home to buy in the Las Cruces area.

In case any of you are wondering, moving sucks! My wife told me she'd rather go through childbirth again than move again (even thought we're just in a temporary, rental home). Moving van showed up today, and aside from the chaos in our house, at least everyone and everything is now here safe and sound.

Herb

Old 10-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

Re: New Mexico SMB forum moderator

X's 2 on moving ! I just moved in July while trying to run a pool service business. Bad idea !

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

They say you should move every 5 years just to get rid of all the junk you've accumulated. Even though I will have to move to my other house under remodel soon, I'm not looking forward to it either even though it's only a couple miles away. Man have I saved up a bunch of "stuff" since 1986.

I do envy you being able to get out of this state though Herb. The DMV must be better than it is here!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #4

Garage

Herb, I guess you're not my neighbor anymore. Why the move?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
They say you should move every 5 years just to get rid of all the junk you've accumulated.

....3 moves are as good as a house fire.......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #6

We moved in March and there are still boxes all over.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:42 AM   #7

Welcome to the Land of Enchantment! We moved to Placitas (10 minutes north of ABQ on I-25) in 2013. Maybe we can meet for a trip sometime. Nice to know another forum member is relatively nearby.

Agreed, moving massively sucks. I should know: I've moved 23 times in my 53 years, and neither I nor my parents were in the the military. That's an average of a move every 2.3 years, less if you consider that my longest stints in one place were 10 years in one place and another for 7 years during that time.

I'm sick of moving myself, yet I itch to be on the road in the SMB at least once a month. Maybe I have the nomad gene...?

NM is a beautiful state, and wildly underrated in tour guides, IMO. Down by you, you have the Gila NF, White Sands Natl Monument, Silver City, Carlsbad Caverns, and just a great many BLM and NF lands and campgrounds. And you're in a day or so's reach of the Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelley, Glen Canyon, or Moab. But you probably have figured all that out by now....

Glad to have you as a distant neighbor!
Old 10-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Welcome to the strange and wonderful State that is NM. I'm up in Abq as well but when/if you get settled let's see about a meet-up somewhere. Down in Las Cruces you are in the middle of some wild and fascinating country.

Oh, don't tell anyone about the DMV and the almost complete lack of traffic enforcement or we'll be inundated with people from California...
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #9

I guess I'm not the only moderator leaving the Golden State.

Bought a home in Ridgefield, WA and will take about 6 months to complete the move. I do enjoy the quiet and the lack of stop-n-go traffic. Not to mention lower taxes and not feeling guilty when I wash my car.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
They say you should move every 5 years just to get rid of all the junk you've accumulated. Even though I will have to move to my other house under remodel soon, I'm not looking forward to it either even though it's only a couple miles away. Man have I saved up a bunch of "stuff" since 1986.

I do envy you being able to get out of this state though Herb. The DMV must be better than it is here!
Well there's my problem, I owned and lived in my home in Ventura for 23 years. Guess I should move another 3 times to get rid of more crap, and just down to the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Herb, I guess you're not my neighbor anymore. Why the move?
Needed a change in job assignment, and it was just too hard and too expensive to get a larger house in the Ventura area. Some of the stuff coming out of Sacramento didn't exactly help either. I'm a California native, and as great as California is, it seems like some elected officials seem determined to drive the state into the ground.

Herb