Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,297
Garage
New Yorker #vanlife

Did this make it here yet?

#Vanlife, the Bohemian Social-Media Movement - The New Yorker
__________________

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
arctictraveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,638
I never knew one could make a bit of a living posting van photos. Now all I need is a bikini model, a better camera and it's time to hit the road again. Thanks....
__________________

__________________
Arctic Traveller
KC6TNI
2001 GTRV
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
www.arctictraveller.com
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,297
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I never knew one could make a bit of a living posting van photos.
Yeah, we can't. One has to be younger and better looking.

Also, you need to be able to live on $18,000 gross income, as the two them apparently did last year. That's pretty tight.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BrianW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,287
Apparently "vanlife" is now also a verb. Sigh.

From the New Yorker article:

“Their wives work office jobs and they work on the vans so the family can go out and vanlife on the weekend.”
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,297
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Apparently "vanlife" is now also a verb. Sigh.

From the New Yorker article:

“Their wives work office jobs and they work on the vans so the family can go out and vanlife on the weekend.”
Yes, but that sounds pretty perfect to me.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
BrianBlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Silverado, CA
Posts: 342
My girlfriend and I always crack up at the perfectly staged photos of the attractive woman in a bikini looking out the open rear door of a Westy at a perfect beach sunset with a well behaved dog laying next to her and a perfectly curated selection of stickers/logos on the Yeti cooler and a bunch of fresh vegetables on the counter.

People see these photos and think "that's the life for me...I need to buy a van!"

Sadly, that's not really what van travelling is like. The truth of the matter is that you probably argued for 15 minutes about whether or not the van was level....that was after wandering about for 45 minutes looking for somewhere that the cops wouldn't kick you out of at 2am. The Westy will likely break down tomorrow and you'll spend a few hours/days crawling around under it. The dog will likely throw up inside the van at some point and it'll smell like it for a few days because it's summertime in California and it gets hot here. Oh, which means that you're probably hot as f$%k at night while you're trying to sleep because these things don't have AC. Finally, at no point during any of the previous happenings did your girlfriend prance around in a perfect bikini and strike yoga poses on the roof of the van. Not. Once.

All that said, I'll be out there this weekend looking for that perfect sunset and trying to find a place down by the river that isn't filled with partying teenagers or weirdos.
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rallypanam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Francisco/Nevada City
Posts: 3,297
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
Sadly, that's not really what van travelling is like. The truth of the matter is that you probably argued for 15 minutes about whether or not the van was level....that was after wandering about for 45 minutes looking for somewhere that the cops wouldn't kick you out of at 2am. The Westy will likely break down tomorrow and you'll spend a few hours/days crawling around under it. The dog will likely throw up inside the van at some point and it'll smell like it for a few days because it's summertime in California and it gets hot here. Oh, which means that you're probably hot as f$%k at night while you're trying to sleep because these things don't have AC. Finally, at no point during any of the previous happenings did your girlfriend prance around in a perfect bikini and strike yoga poses on the roof of the van. Not. Once.
LOL. Well said. My girlfriend has never been on the roof of my van, let alone in a bikini doing yoga.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BrianW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,287
The overwhelming take-away I had is how much work they have to invest in their "carefree" lifestyle. Sure, it's great not to have a 9-5 job and be able to go surfing, etc., but being a social media "persona" takes a lot of work. Not that I'll ever have to worry about it, but once "vanlife" starts to become that much work it's just another job. Kinda defeats the whole idea IMO.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
caideN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 137
To each their own.

It's nice to think about living in a van and not having to work but to me, it's just a thought. Fun to think about but I cant imagine actually doing it. It is a lot of work and a lot of boredom.

There's people on YouTube who pretend to go 'homeless' to live in a van. They do this to get views. I guess it's just another way to make money on YouTube. Act as a hobo and get paid. Not a bad idea I suppose.
__________________
05 E250 2WD EB V8 SMB Voyager Top - WeldTec Designs 6" 'Performance' Lift
caideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 7,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Apparently "vanlife" is now also a verb. Sigh.”
The beginning of the end.
__________________

__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Woodstock

woodstock

Guster

Salmon
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.