Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Site Team

Not the way to start the week

Driving the SMB to work this morning to keep the batteries charged (especially since I have solar panel issues again).

Just after crossing over a bridge, I heard and felt a vibration, and the vibration went from just noticeable to severe in a matter of seconds. Pulled over to the side of the road, grabbed my flashlight to check my tires. I figured I may have separated a tread on my BFGs.

Couldn't see anything wrong with the tires, shocks, springs or front end. so I decided I'd slowly move the SMB to a safer, wider spot off the road and take a closer look. Jst started to slowly move the SMB when I heard a loud clunk. I immediately stopped the SMB, placed it in Park and was about to open the door, get out and take another look, when I noticed the van was rolling. Not a good sign!

Put on the parking brake and jumped out with my flahslight in hand again. Turns out I didn't need the flashlight to tell me what was wrong. Seeing the front end of the rear driveshaft laying on the ground gave me a hint that something serious was wrong. Looking closer, I also saw a u-joint cap laying on the ground, with the u-joint still in the driveshaft yoke. Looks like I lost one u-joint cap causing a significant vibration, which then helped cause another cap to leave the u-joint. Then the u-joint istself must have worked it's way out of the yoke. The "straps" were still in place on the transfer case yoke, and the u-joint appeared to be in one piece, but the u-joint walked it's way out. Must be that one or more retainer clips were lost somehow.

To top if off, my Blackberry battery was almost dead, even though it had been charged up the day before. Why does it always happen at once?

Did get through to Good Sam roadside assistance, and though the truck took 50 minutes to show up, the guy did know what he was doing. He was just about wrapped up getting the SMB connected, so I thought I'd wander back down the road to pick up the safety reflector triangle I had set up 100 feet back, when I noticed the triangle had been run over. It had been fine a few minutes before. It wasn't in the traffic lane, so someone obviously was giving themselves a visual proctology exam while driving. At first I was pissed off, but I'd rather replace a safety triangle than have been rear ended by some idiot.

Anyone know if the rear driveshaft is stock Ford, modified Ford, or aftermarket? I have a call into Peter at SMBw to see if this is covered by Ford, SMBw or Herb.

Lessons Learned:
1) one or more reflective safety triangles are a good investment
2) don't assume the cell phone is charged. I was lucky my family wasn't with me.
3) place a roll of bailing wire in the SMB. If I hadn't been in work clothes, I could have made a decent field repair by just tying the driveshaft out of the way and driving in front wheel drive.

Herb

Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #2

Sorry to hear this. You shouldn't need a new drive shaft, just a new yoke correct? Another reason why my jump suit is always in the rig. Change, slide under the rig and remove the drive shaft from the diff side. Glad you weren't hurt. You can lose control sometimes if the driveshaft whips around under neath (usually happens upfront instead of rear).

Don't have a clue if the rear drive shaft is ford or after market. Usually..they have a tag around the shaft if its a manufact. shaft from Ford. They lift the van , what about 4"?.. so it very well could be the stock shaft. I haven't looked at mine lately so i don't recall.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Glad it was not any worse than it sounds, 'cause I suspect it could have been.

I will watch this thread with interest...

...and we have bailing wire onboard already, but I think the jump suit is a good idea too...

I have not had the drive shaft pieces actually come apart, but after a few 100k miles on the Nissan truck I had a bearing go; this caused some mysterious of vibrations as well.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Team

I agree, the most important thing is that it was not worse than the inconvenience of being on the side of the road for a while, and maybe a few hundred dollars if it's not covered by Ford or SMB. It had the potential to get ugly, that's for sure.

I'm hoping it may just be a new u-joint and maybe rebalancing the driveshaft, but time will tell. the driveshaft did not drag on the ground for more than 12" at very, very low speed.

The jumpsuit is a great idea, and I'll get one each for the Bronco and the SMB.

The bailing wire did make me think about a tool I carry in the Bronco that I'd recommend. Generally better to use a stronger (stainless) wire for this tool, but with this tool, you can make custom "clamps" to fit each situaltion. I picked up mine at a local gun show a few years ago. Maybe I should get one for the SMB as well. Checkout the video clips for a demonstration.

http://www.clamptitetools.com/

Herb
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #5

Sorry to hear it, Herb. Bummer. Things could always be worse, though...

A buddy of mine with a beemer *snicker* just ponied up for $3K worth of repair to his '05 with 120K mi on it. He was at the dealer and came a hair's breadth from popping for a new one right then. Right after the repair, his tranny went. That's $5K. Ouch, babe.

Feeling any better?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Site Team

Well, it looks like it's going to get worse afterall.

The driveshaft, yoke, blah, blah, blah would be covered but only up to 36,000 miles. Guess how many miles our SMB has? Just under 37,800 miles. Let's not even talk about the earlier 450 mile round trip exclusively to SMBw to take care previous warranty work. It clearly is out of warranty, but I guess I was hoping for some love by SMBw. That and I find this out through the RV dealer even though I had two calls into SMBw on this failure, and not one return call from them.

No estimate on the repair cost yet.

Herb
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I researched that tool a while back, and we will probably get one at some point..... hopefully not right after we need it....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #8

Re: Not the way to start the week

Wow, you deserve a gold star for stopping! Imagine how much worse the problem could have been if you hadn't taken a few minutes to check the vibration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
3) place a roll of bailing wire in the SMB. If I hadn't been in work clothes, I could have made a decent field repair by just tying the driveshaft out of the way and driving in front wheel drive.
You can't really just tie a driveshaft out of the way. In this case the rear would have driven the DS making it spin (unless you have full floater with lockouts!). Since you've got the Atlas you could possibly get away with tying a disconnected rear up, although I'm not 100% certain there isn't a viscous force that would try to twist it out of the bailing wire.

However, an 8mm wrench and 4 small bolts and you could have removed the other end (in either case) and stowed the DS safely.

Note that with a Ford T-case you cannot disengage the rear axle with the front engaged and that you cannot remove the driveshaft slip from the yoke at the rear of the T-case (transmission fluid will escape the yoke).

So again, kudos are in order for your clear head in stopping to check the problem, and we're all glad you're safe and sound.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Site Team

All day I've had visions of the Mythbusters episode where they were testing the "vaulting car". It took a few attempts, with just the right conditions (large pothole in just the right place), but they got a nice vault when they disconnected the front end of the driveshaft.

Here's a link that will hopefully work. It's not working too well without a hi speed connection:
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... o-car.html

Herb
Old 10-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #10

Herb,

Sorry to hear about your morning.

I can't speak for your '06 but on my '08 the driveshaft is not stock. I got a recall notice for my van regarding the drive shaft and asked Peter at SMB West whether I should take my van in. He informed me the drive shaft was replaced as part of the 4x4 conversion. It makes sense becase when they add the transfer case to the back of the transmition it will change the length of the driveshaft.

Good Luck