Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2017, 02:24 AM   #1

Opinions on a gen-1 Ford crew cab Raptor 6.2L wanted

Hey guys I’m thinking of dumping my ford class b van 2x4 to purchase a used gen-1 raptor crew cab 4x4 6.2L.ive been searching high/low for a 4x4 van but they are either really old/high mileage around $20k or kind of what I want for around $50k+and new $100k+,i love vans and will keep my 2x4 2004 Chevy express 2500 passenger van regardless.i was also thinkin about having a van built through agile or ujoint etc but even if I found a 2014 Ford with decent mileage by the time you have everything done up its pricey.ive been thinking of these raptors because a friend of mine has one,another buddy has a Tacoma 4x4 and they are starting to put some trips together.you can pick up a 2012 or so with a luxury package 802-a (all bells and whistles,leather seats,navigation,elec e-thing,sunroof etc) for about $40-k if your patient with aftermarket shocks etc and throw a collapsible tent on it.plus it can tow up to 8000 lbs so if I bought a toyhauler for a base camp for the sand dunes I go out to a lot i don’t need to worry about struggling like a Tacoma. i know it will never be as comfy a set up like a van but they sit wide/lower center of gravity and are reasonably smooth off/on road and you can run at a decent pace if needed with plenty of horsepower and torque.they weigh about 6000 lbs so aired down they’re not to bad in deep/soft sand.they also have decent mileage compared to Tacoma’s v6.i was also thinking of a ford bronco with the twin traction beam suspension as well but they are at least 20 years old even though you can pick up a decent one for about $10-k I question reliability issues so far off the asphalt and down in Baja even though any vehicle can break down.thanks for reading and your feedback,I know this is a van forum so don’t beat me up to bad haha

Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

I've toyed with the idea of a Raptor as well. The small bed kinda kills it for me however.

You won't be able to tow a toy hauler with a Raptor. The tow rating is good for boat, or anything else with low tongue weight. But even a small toy hauler will overload the Raptor by a good margin. But between that and a Taco, I'd pick a Raptor without a doubt.

That said.... You could put a long-travel suspension on heavy-payload option F150, and then be able to tow a toy hauler, and it'd still do 95% of what the Raptor can.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

We're not currently in the market, but our next vehicle purchase is a common topic of discussion in this household. Building another van ('05+ V10 EB with TTB 4wd) vs a Raptor are really what it will probably come down to.

Coming from owning exclusively 4x4 trucks, I really like my current 2wd van. It already performs far better offroad than a vehicle this big should, but having to turn around on a few trails when it's time to "lock the hubs", or leaving the trailer at home when we go to the beach, really has me missing 4wd. Then again, I really question how much further off the beaten path I ought to be taking the family-mobile? When we head out on a road trip, or go camping, the van is no doubt the best tool for the job. I can't see myself going back to tent camping (except on motorcycle trips) so the whole RTT on a truck doesn't appeal to me. So what's the solution?

If there was a Raptor in the driveway next to the current van, would you struggle to decide which one to take? I know I would. If that van was a long travel 4x4 (Agile's ttb cycles 13", roughly the same travel as a Raptor, though measured wheel travel is only part of the equation) with some balls (late model V10 with the basic intake/exhaust/programming mods should easily make 350hp), I think the van would be the better tool for the job most of the time. I don't see having both as a good answer, every single time you leave the house, you'll find yourself wishing you took the other vehicle, even if only for a moment. To me, that kind of points to the 4wd van as the best choice, even though it will end up costing about the same as the Raptor in the end.... but damn, the new Raptors are nice.

One of my previous trucks was a heavily modified Ram 3500 4x4 quad cab with a hemi. With $$$$$ of suspension and axle modifications and 37" rubber, I would say that it was on par with a first gen Raptor, but with a solid front axle, and before Ford Raptors existed. Once I threw a shell on the back, I had an epiphany and the idea of a van started to make a whole lot of sense to me. The truck + shell (way better than a tent!) was great for just my wife and I, but started losing it's appeal when the babies came.

While that was, no doubt, the "nicest" vehicle I've ever had, the van ticks more boxes (but different boxes) on my absolute must-do list. The big difference is not just that the truck could get way off the beaten path, but it could do it at a pace that would make most passengers go silent and nervous, just as a Raptor can. If you are willing to knock the pace down quite a few notches, I'd be willing to bet that an experienced driver could take a 4wd van ALL the same places... the less glass, the better!

What's more important to you? Getting where you want to go quickly, or having all the comforts when you get there? Let's not forget that with speed comes risk, both in mechanical damage, and passenger safety.

I could (and have/will) argue both sides 'til the cows come home, but hopefully I've provided some food for thought. I'm at least glad to see that I'm not the only one that struggles with this!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

I have an 06 SMB V10 with Agile TTB and love it off-road but it is no Raptor. TTB is fantastic off-road at mellow speeds but higher speeds in a loaded camper van is a asking too much unless you are ok with things rattling and shaking apart over time. Agile’s own TTB van isn’t a full camper and he does push that thing but there isn’t much to come apart inside.

A buddy of mine has the Supercharged Raptor with suspension mods by RPG. That thing is scary fast and fun but as you said you are stuck sitting in one place with no camping setup one you get someplace. For some folks that is fine but I like the comfort to deal with any weather when out. It still is really nice to have a friend with a nice Raptor and a nice Jeep camp with me though. I would love to have a Raptor and a Jeep in the driveway next to the van...

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I've toyed with the idea of a Raptor as well. The small bed kinda kills it for me however.

You won't be able to tow a toy hauler with a Raptor. The tow rating is good for boat, or anything else with low tongue weight. But even a small toy hauler will overload the Raptor by a good margin. But between that and a Taco, I'd pick a Raptor without a doubt.

That said.... You could put a long-travel suspension on heavy-payload option F150, and then be able to tow a toy hauler, and it'd still do 95% of what the Raptor can.
Thx for the response,with wieght distribution hitch/properly loaded trailer it is rated for 8-k and it takes some weight off the tongue you would have otherwise,although my goal would be to keep it around 6500 max if I went that route and cruise 60 mph with a trailer big enough for a sidexside or quads/motorcycles and to clean up/cook and a party shack.thx for the f-150 idea I will think about it but I do like the the fact that the drive train/different drive modes has already been engineered(not sure if the f-150 has all that integrated?)
Old 12-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
We're not currently in the market, but our next vehicle purchase is a common topic of discussion in this household. Building another van ('05+ V10 EB with TTB 4wd) vs a Raptor are really what it will probably come down to.

Coming from owning exclusively 4x4 trucks, I really like my current 2wd van. It already performs far better offroad than a vehicle this big should, but having to turn around on a few trails when it's time to "lock the hubs", or leaving the trailer at home when we go to the beach, really has me missing 4wd. Then again, I really question how much further off the beaten path I ought to be taking the family-mobile? When we head out on a road trip, or go camping, the van is no doubt the best tool for the job. I can't see myself going back to tent camping (except on motorcycle trips) so the whole RTT on a truck doesn't appeal to me. So what's the solution?

If there was a Raptor in the driveway next to the current van, would you struggle to decide which one to take? I know I would. If that van was a long travel 4x4 (Agile's ttb cycles 13", roughly the same travel as a Raptor, though measured wheel travel is only part of the equation) with some balls (late model V10 with the basic intake/exhaust/programming mods should easily make 350hp), I think the van would be the better tool for the job most of the time. I don't see having both as a good answer, every single time you leave the house, you'll find yourself wishing you took the other vehicle, even if only for a moment. To me, that kind of points to the 4wd van as the best choice, even though it will end up costing about the same as the Raptor in the end.... but damn, the new Raptors are nice.

One of my previous trucks was a heavily modified Ram 3500 4x4 quad cab with a hemi. With $$$$$ of suspension and axle modifications and 37" rubber, I would say that it was on par with a first gen Raptor, but with a solid front axle, and before Ford Raptors existed. Once I threw a shell on the back, I had an epiphany and the idea of a van started to make a whole lot of sense to me. The truck + shell (way better than a tent!) was great for just my wife and I, but started losing it's appeal when the babies came.

While that was, no doubt, the "nicest" vehicle I've ever had, the van ticks more boxes (but different boxes) on my absolute must-do list. The big difference is not just that the truck could get way off the beaten path, but it could do it at a pace that would make most passengers go silent and nervous, just as a Raptor can. If you are willing to knock the pace down quite a few notches, I'd be willing to bet that an experienced driver could take a 4wd van ALL the same places... the less glass, the better!

What's more important to you? Getting where you want to go quickly, or having all the comforts when you get there? Let's not forget that with speed comes risk, both in mechanical damage, and passenger safety.

I could (and have/will) argue both sides 'til the cows come home, but hopefully I've provided some food for thought. I'm at least glad to see that I'm not the only one that struggles with this!
Haha We definitely think alike as well as many others I’m sure,for starters usually when we are at the dunes it’s with several friends who have 4x4 trucks or sidexsides that can help get broken toys back to base camp or transport extra people to the races or hill where all the shenanigans are happening,it's nice to know if I went out solo with the raptor/aired down I could get trailer away from others for privacy/let my pit bull run around and I could go retrieve my own toys if broken instead of relying in kindness from others(although off roading is like boating and there’s generally a decency code to help others that need it).im 52 now but can still handle roughing it a few days here/there no prob and I appreciate simplicity sometimes like when I was younger and had e few bucks in my pocket/took off for the weekend and everything worked out fine.now I have what seems like scroll that rolls out to be 3 feet long of everything I need to take camping lol.as far as speed it would be nice to get my groove on here or there in smooth washes/trails but I don’t like thrashing my toys too bad as I worked so hard to earn the $$ to buy them...
Old 12-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER View Post
I have an 06 SMB V10 with Agile TTB and love it off-road but it is no Raptor. TTB is fantastic off-road at mellow speeds but higher speeds in a loaded camper van is a asking too much unless you are ok with things rattling and shaking apart over time. Agile’s own TTB van isn’t a full camper and he does push that thing but there isn’t much to come apart inside.

A buddy of mine has the Supercharged Raptor with suspension mods by RPG. That thing is scary fast and fun but as you said you are stuck sitting in one place with no camping setup one you get someplace. For some folks that is fine but I like the comfort to deal with any weather when out. It still is really nice to have a friend with a nice Raptor and a nice Jeep camp with me though. I would love to have a Raptor and a Jeep in the driveway next to the van...
Ya my thinkin “today” is it’s a truck that hauls my waverunners and trailers,it’s kind of a Jeep,it’s an expedition vehicle and it’s a roomy caddilic type ride with temperature controlled leather seats,cruise control,blah blah blah for long rode trips to the mountains and mammoth with luxury seat for dog haha
Attached Thumbnails
6A5CEAEA-808C-443F-A181-3CBAAF3DA96F.jpg  
Old 12-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Thx for the response,with wieght distribution hitch/properly loaded trailer it is rated for 8-k and it takes some weight off the tongue you would have otherwise,although my goal would be to keep it around 6500 max.
The problem isn't the tow rating, it's the payload. The Raptor maxes out at 1,000 pounds, no options, bone stock.

A 6500 pound toy hauler will have at least 900 pounds of tongue weight. Plus your passengers and gear, you'd be looking at overloading it by at least 50%. The compliant suspension does a lot of things well, but carrying weight is not one of them. Weight distribution doesn't magically remove tongue weight, it just returns some of it back to the front axle, which would otherwise be unloaded by having weight behind the rear axle.

Yeah, you could beef up the suspension, but you're still running a light-duty axle, and then you're really ensuring the frame is the first failure point. Unless you upgrade that too. That's why adding a long-travel suspension to an otherwise heavier-duty F150 might be worth considering. FWIW the 2nd gen Raptor has the upgraded F150HD frame. I'd feel way more comfortable doing mods on that one, to allow better weight carrying.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Towing.jpg  
Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The problem isn't the tow rating, it's the payload. The Raptor maxes out at 1,000 pounds, no options, bone stock.

A 6500 pound toy hauler will have at least 900 pounds of tongue weight. Plus your passengers and gear, you'd be looking at overloading it by at least 50%. The compliant suspension does a lot of things well, but carrying weight is not one of them. Weight distribution doesn't magically remove tongue weight, it just returns some of it back to the front axle, which would otherwise be unloaded by having weight behind the rear axle.

Yeah, you could beef up the suspension, but you're still running a light-duty axle, and then you're really ensuring the frame is the first failure point. Unless you upgrade that too. That's why adding a long-travel suspension to an otherwise heavier-duty F150 might be worth considering. FWIW the 2nd gen Raptor has the upgraded F150HD frame. I'd feel way more comfortable doing mods on that one, to allow better weight carrying.
You definitely make great points but to clarify I wouldn’t get a a trailer over 3500-4000 lbs (super light versions like livin lite etc made of aluminum),the other weight (6-6500)was adding sidexside/gear.i think if I was gonna drag a trailer around cross country or even other states raptor wouldn’t be in my vocab at all but for a 4 hour drive at low speed(there are also helper springs you could add/remove in a few minutes with my cordless milwuakee for those handful of trips every year I’m trailering, I wouldn’t sweat it to much and I hope I’m not sounding arrogant/ignorant because you really made me think twice about it an get the calculator out haha.even if I set up a 20’aluminum trailer with a quality tent for wind/rain and most importantly a heat pump unit that I could run with my quiet Honda eu3000 for cooling/heating and have a place to change etc would work as well.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:23 AM   #10

Alot of great people on here and that I have met at Silverado canyon so if I do end up gettin one of these hopefully you’ll still let me hang around and would like to get in on some trips with you guys!