Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #11

Not sure about bumpers, boxes (I have aluminess) but plenty of options for roof racks these days.

Just installed a Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray on my E350. Love it so far. The T track makes it easy to make your own mounts, etc. I also used the SMB installed Thule tracks so the install was pretty easy.

Also: I had an issue w a cracked Aluminess bumper from frozen water in the tubes. Customer service was great. I talked to an actual human when I called and they didn't even bat an eye at repairing and repainting it. No charge.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
The same applies to pop-tops......who's going to spend the time and $$ for tooling and design for something that goes on a vehicle that was discontinued 4 years ago?

....there's a lot that goes into both the Aluminess bumpers/swingarms and pop tops....I'm speaking from experience here; I've transplanted an SMB top and designed and fabricated a rear bumper/swingarm/box setup. At least with tops, we now have at least one alternative...Colorado camper vans...and perhaps another that a few members here have been working on....bumpers..not so much.
Agreed on the bumper comment but there are many options! For example my front winch bumper is an F150 winch bumper. I shortened the returns and it pretty much bolted up with small mount and radius trimming on the deck. I paid $125.00 5 years ago. My rear I built from scratch splitting and sectioning a wave runner trailer front storage box for my Baja box. The dbl swing arms latch in the middle, the spare tire carrier combo/ladder dbls as a cradle that swings up into position so I do not have to manhandle the tire up to the mount! My point is there are many products out there that exist that really need little or no modification to fit. The secret is patience and a tape measure!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminess, bumpers, roof rack