Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Phone and Tablet Navigation Aids

In my well meaning family's QUEST to bring me into the 21st century they gifted me a new I Phone and an I Pad 3G for my birthday in March. I have been looking for apps to make these devices more interesting for me and came across a couple that seem to be very useful for travels the first one being http://www.topomapsapp.com and http://www.allstays.com I purchased both of these and have been pleased with their utility . I thought that it might be and interesting ongoing topic as we all have similar travel tastes . I thought that if any of you have found applications that appealed to you , you might like to share them so that I am able to continue to spend more money in the guise of necessity (SportsMobile) .
greggd

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #2

Re: Phone and Tablet Navigation Aids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggd
In my well meaning family's QUEST to bring me into the 21st century they gifted me a new I Phone and an I Pad 3G for my birthday in March. I have been looking for apps to make these devices more interesting for me and came across a couple that seem to be very useful for travels the first one being http://www.topomapsapp.com and http://www.allstays.com I purchased both of these and have been pleased with their utility . I thought that it might be and interesting ongoing topic as we all have similar travel tastes . I thought that if any of you have found applications that appealed to you , you might like to share them so that I am able to continue to spend more money in the guise of necessity (SportsMobile) .
greggd
Have not tried it out yet, but that topo map app was highly recommended to me by a friend. That is Philip Endecott's topo app, but there are others available.

My most useful map related app thus far has been GPS Drive Motion X HD. It turns the Ipad into a full function GPS navigation tool with turn by turn directions. I use it often.
Rob
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I'm thrilled with the iHike app for the pad. Works with the GPS in your 3G pad. You have to download the USGS or forest service maps ahead of time--unless you have cell reception or wireless in the middle of nowhere then you can download them anytime.

http://www.ihikegps.com/

You can download up to 200 of the free maps. They look terrific when zoomed in too.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #4

Rob and Zeta ,
Thank you for your quick replies , I have the Motion X on my new I Phone but have not used it yet , my plan is to use it when I am traveling out of the state on business and don't have access to Hertz and their Never Lost GPS systems in their cars . Zeta I just purchased the I hike and installed it on my I PAD , I really like the idea of preloading Topo Maps that are accessible as downloads and not requiring the use of a GPS ! This is the reason that I purchased the previously mentioned Topomaps ap . I have always been a map and compass person but with all of this great information available I can see my waterproofing and folding skills going away . I am absolutely amazed at the number of applications available ! While researching I found out that a number of the upper end mapping companies are gearing up for these type of applications ,one particular to watch for is Benchmark out of Oregon , that produce some of the finest upto date maps of the West available .
Thank you both for feeding my insanity !
Greggd
Old 05-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I'll be interested in the Benchmark topos. There are so many topo maps that it would be nice just to have them all installed--or at least better than having to download them one at a time.

BTW, iHike will move between maps when you drive off of them which is a nice feature.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #6

Zeta ,
The Topomapsapp I believe has this feature as well . I have been retracing many of our old trip
logs and found everything not only greatly expanded but much simpler to navigate . I even laid out a couple of new destinations that we had not been to in a number of years for the near future . It really is nice to plan this way with waypoints and all the needed coordinates in place . I am excited to see any additional Apps that other Forum members have found .
Greggd
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #7

Star walk is a great app for the iPad. It's ok for the iPhone but amazing for the iPad. It gps locates what the star look like at your location.
Bigredinvail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #8

Bigredinvail ,
Thanks I just purchased the application , looks very interesting and I am sure that my Grandsons will give it a good workout ! I previously purchased GoSkyWatch at http://www.gosoftworks.com and have had much enjoyment with this App .We need to get Daveb to critique these applications to see if they are worth their salt .
One of the features that this application is the the ability to reference the the shuttle when in orbit , you have to purchase it but looks to be interesting , at least to my Grandsons and Daughter .
Greggd
Old 05-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #9

great info! Curious if you were to get one device to travel with (iphone, ipad, laptop) which would you purchase for the ultimate navigation aid? also advantages over kenwood/garmin unit already in vehicle?

thanks

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #10

As of this moment I would probably opt for the I Pad because of it's intermediate size and ease of use .
I do not plan on it as a main stream travel aid as much a resource base for any and all things that might be needed while on my way . The mapping applications that I have purchased look like they will be able to provide a storage base for additional information that would not be available by using my Kenwood/Garmin system that is hard wired to my vehicle as well as the wealth of information only available from using a computer type platform . I really cannot give any real good advice yet because of the short time that I have owned these new devices but so far so good and I am one of those people that is technologically challenged !!! A wise man once said that you will never be lost , if you do not care where you are .
Greggd