Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 11:00 PM   #1

Places for storing your van?

One of the things my wife and have tried to figure out over the years is, “where is a good place to put our van in storage when we head back to Alaska”.

I have to admit we got spoiled right off the bat when we first put it in storage. We found a place in Phoenix that had covered parking, electrical hook-up, water, wash bay, REAL security, etc. (this place was the cats meow)

But as we traveled we found some towns/cities where a gravel pad was your only option. Unfortunately this led to damage and theft in some areas. (bummer)

Our last place we parked it was an old underground limestone mine outside of Pittsburg. (Way cool and way secure)

Maybe I haven’t been able to find it but is there a link here that gives up good places to store our vans? Places where they will actually fit.

We plan on storing our van somewhere in the Bangor are in a few months and have been looking around for a place.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Arctic Dave

ArcticDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:56 AM   #2

This is a good topic and would be helpful to have a list in different locales. I am near Avon, Ohio (west of CLE). Right now, I store mine outside on gravel because mine is too tall (over 9 ft) to fit inside at the storage facility right down the road from me (and seemingly all other places as well). All winter I have been battling mice, with my traps in the engine bay and on the ground under the van capturing more than I care to count.

I found a place in Lorain, Ohio (storagerak.com) near rt 2 and the Turnpike (80/90) where you can store indoors (cost is $5/ linear ft of vehicle per month). But the vehicle is stuck there from December to March (no in/out).
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

Height is the big issue.

We found a place in Raleigh where it could fit but I had to remove the rack on top to squeeze in.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
brp

I park my van at a Public Storage, outside. It’s about $90/month. Very secure, but not out of the elements. I think they are nationwide and you can just get a month at a time.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #5

Usually we try to find covered parking just to help keep it out of the elements.

The biggest thing I’m trying to avoid is UV damage especially in hot climates. I was a bit worried when we left it outside in Denver and they had hail storms. Luckily we didn’t have any damage.

The worst was when we left it outside in Atlanta and someone cut through my roof rack to steal bike parts. The manager wasn’t really helpful at all considering they were supposed to have “24 hour guard”.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDave View Post
The worst was when we left it outside in Atlanta and someone cut through my roof rack to steal bike parts. The manager wasn’t really helpful at all considering they were supposed to have “24 hour guard”.
There was a post here reciently about a van in a storage yard that was stolen. I'm just paranoid, but I'd be sure to disable it some how, perhaps by pulling the fuel pump relay or something.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #7

Bought a diesel pusher from an old boy down in San Antonio. He had an enclosed space big enough for a couple of 40+ foot rigs. Paid him 125.00 a month to care for my pick-up truck for a couple of years. He would take it for a spin for a few miles every now and then to keep it up for me. He would have stored it for free for me, but considering that he was caring for it, I di not have the heart for that. That said, you might want to check with some storage managers to see if similar circumstances exist with some of their customers. You just might get lucky.

Good luck!!!!!!

James
James4 is offline   Reply With Quote