Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #11

Re: Possible new van owner

If you haven't already, you should also post over at the Expedition Portal: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/

Do you really need 4x4? I admittedly have not driven to Patagonia, but I'm thinking you probably could get by with a 2WD van with good all-terrain (AT) tires, a limited slip or locking rear differential, and perhaps a moderate suspension lift. People have crossed the Sahara with 2WD sedans, for example. 4x4 is great, but if you are on a budget and have a lot of requirements, you may have to give up on it. Plus, with two small kids I doubt you'll be doing any serious offroading.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #12

Thanks for the Link.

For me, 4x4 is a must. I think especially with children 4x4 is a safety feature. I've only been to Nicaragua and Brazil and in both countries 4x4 is very handy to have.
I know of those 2WD adventures and I'm sure one can do it, but I wouldn't like to take the risk.

Cheers
Mike
PhysEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:47 PM   #13

I would not want to drive a pickup with a camper to South America....

1) They are so top-heavy (unless you do an XP camper or similar) you can't really drive them off road, besides logging roads.

2) you'll stick out like a sore thumb. You might have the only camper in the entire county, so it will definitely advertise you are a tourist (on the other hand, Ford vans are all over central america). Granted a built-out 4x4 van is only slightly better, but keeping the bumpers stock will make it more discrete at least from a distance.

3) most of the newer campers don't have a pass-through into the cab. If things get rough where you are camped, you might need a quick exit to the driver's seat.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Well to each their own but if price is a concern, I can't put them down. I'd probably prefer a Jeep with a pop top but I'm only one person. Still I like having an inside kitchen & some kind of living area but that's probably too much stuff to put in a Jeep conversion.

Top heavy no, not really. I've seen these things on class 4 trails passing by me. The complete camper is about the price of doing a 4x4 conversion on a 2wd van. Stick out like a sore thumb, yeah but so does my van. That said a stock looking van goes a long way for stealth. Like I've already posted you do loose the front being part of the conversion with a PU. Not that I walk through in my van, but being able to use the front seats is a big plus. Can't have that with a pickup.
[edit] PhysEd I don't know much about these things only that I've seen them on some pretty rough trails. But if you're looking for a different solution, it's worth exploring alternative options to find what really is best for your needs.
http://www.twohappycampers.com/why-four ... er-for-us/
Attached Thumbnails
four  wheel campers.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #15

Thanks for the further opinions and the links. Just a few days ago I could take a peak at one of those pickups crew cabin + camper. Yes, it sleeps four, but this thing was huge and for us not an option.
We defenitively want a litte bus/van and as it is at the moment, the only affordable option is to get an old fire- or ambulance truck, either a Dodge Ram B300/350 4x4 or even better a Ford E350 4x4.

Do you know the difference between the B300 and the B350? It seems a little longer, but other than that? I'm grateful for any help.

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #16

Hi,

The B300 or B350 designation does not matter for you. Both are 1 ton units capable of carrying your family and lots of cargo.

My 4x4 B350 Dodge weighs 5500 lbs empty and can be loaded with another 3000 lbs. How much gear do you need? These vans were always lighter because of the way they were built. I doubt you need a maximum weight of 11,000 lbs to travel to Patagonia. Especially when you are familiar with a VW van and are aware of what I will politely describe as European expectations as to personal weight limits.

The truth of this discussion is that parts for a Ford will be easier to find in South America than parts for a Dodge. And that's from a Dodge guy who would ship his van to Botswana if he could afford it.

Bonne chance et bon voyage.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr
Hi,

The B300 or B350 designation does not matter for you. Both are 1 ton units capable of carrying your family and lots of cargo.
Alright, but the B350 is a little longer and gives a little more space inside, right?
What about the driving, is it any "duller" because of the extra length or does it drive as "swiftly" as the B300?

Thank you for your paticence!
Mike
Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #18

Mike,

B300 or B350 both refer to the weigh rating being one ton.

One could purchase the van in both regular length or extended. On this forum we use the terms RB or EB to simplify the difference. (Regular body or extended body.)

Both body lengths are no Ferrari!

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #19

Thanks for your specifications. What I wanted to know is, is there a disadvantage of an EB eg when you are in rough terrain? And I can't find numbers how much more room the EB version gives.

Cheers
Mike
Old 08-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #20

EB adds 21/22 inches to the rear of the van, about 46 cu. ft.

All this is added behind the rear wheels so there is approach / departure angles to deal with the extra rear overhang.

As with nearly every aspect of these rigs - What compromises is one willing to live with?

For us. the extra room is far more desirable.