Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #11

Re: Products made in the USA: Split From Trasharoo

Gettin' a bit politic' in har.

Anyway, it's not as simple as even that. My jeans are from Wal-mart. Why? For $14.88 they fit better and last longer then anything I can buy from Levi's. I used to be a die hard Red Tab guy, then they came out with Orange Tab, which were cheap as heck, then "brought back" Red Tab but side by side the "reintroduced" Red Tab were as cheap as the Orange Tab. They are both paper thin and if a pair lasted more then eight months it was amazing.

The Walmart jeans on the other hand are thick canvas and overly sown, like old-school jeans. I'm sure it's because they can't put the technology to making them cheaper, thinner and less durable. They're not designed to wear out. Frankly, I'd pay $60, $70, $100 for these jeans, because what matters to me is fit and durability. The fact that they were $14 pretty much just meant I bought more pairs.

Meanwhile McDonalds is leading the 99¢ tastes-like-food craze and the oil companies are making billions and not paying a dime in United States taxes. It's hard to believe that my personal choices in where things are made make that big of a difference, so personally I focus on what is the right product for myself.

I wish there was more reason for American companies to produce quality products that people want to buy, but if your competition is just going to run to China and slit your throat, and the government and big (bigger) business aren't going to do anything about it, because frankly, the money isn't there for them either- it's in China.

[/rant]

Old 05-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #12

Good afternoon guys,

We want to make the product here in the States, but no matter how nice the bag is the fact of the matter is the main stream general public will not pay $100.00 for a canvas trash bag.

That being said I have been working with several factories in the USA to have our bag made. I can't get the price down far enough. However, IM STILL working on it on a regular basis. I WANT to be able to make it here. I want to support our own economy. Trust me.

The original bags were first made in china because unlike the people that buy our bags, i was making them on a whim. I was shelling out my money to make them and i didn't know if they'd ever take off. I was taking a risk. So justifying spending twice, three times as much to make the bags here would have been the wrong move. Im sure you guys can understand that.

Now that the bags are getting more and more popular im working with more and more manufact. facilities with larger quantities and we'll see if we can switch our manuf. over here.

I will keep you posted as to any changes that may take place in the future. You better believe there WILL BE a flag on our bag saying made in the USA one day.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #13

... One other thing i want to mention for those that may not know. Last year we almost lost our house, our company and everything else we own (including having to SELL our SMB). We were in no position to go out on a limb to do this, but i felt in my heart i could make it happen. Therefore within the same token.. with this economy, i knew i couldn't afford to produce them here.. and either could the end user afford to buy them.

So in that regard, at some point a pricepoint DOES matter.

So cheers to better times and i want to thank all you for your orders.. i think Trasharoo has in a way carried us through these horrible times.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 05-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Gettin' a bit politic' in har.

Anyway, it's not as simple as even that. My jeans are from Wal-mart. Why? For $14.88 they fit better and last longer then anything I can buy from Levi's. I used to be a die hard Red Tab guy, then they came out with Orange Tab, which were cheap as heck, then "brought back" Red Tab but side by side the "reintroduced" Red Tab were as cheap as the Orange Tab. They are both paper thin and if a pair lasted more then eight months it was amazing.
[/rant]

Published on Friday, September 26, 2003 by the San Francisco Chronicle
Levi's to Close Last U.S. Plants
Much of the work once done in this country has moved instead to cheaper contract factories in Asia and Latin America

by Jenny Strasburg

Struggling denim icon Levi Strauss & Co. said Thursday that it will cut 1,980 more North American jobs within six months when it closes its two remaining U.S. plants in San Antonio as well as three plants in Canada.

cut and paste from Mr. Google
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureduo
Good afternoon guys,

We want to make the product here in the States, but no matter how nice the bag is the fact of the matter is the main stream general public will not pay $100.00 for a canvas trash bag.

That being said I have been working with several factories in the USA to have our bag made. I can't get the price down far enough. However, IM STILL working on it on a regular basis. I WANT to be able to make it here. I want to support our own economy. Trust me.

The original bags were first made in china because unlike the people that buy our bags, i was making them on a whim. I was shelling out my money to make them and i didn't know if they'd ever take off. I was taking a risk. So justifying spending twice, three times as much to make the bags here would have been the wrong move. Im sure you guys can understand that.

Now that the bags are getting more and more popular im working with more and more manufact. facilities with larger quantities and we'll see if we can switch our manuf. over here.

I will keep you posted as to any changes that may take place in the future. You better believe there WILL BE a flag on our bag saying made in the USA one day.
I understand that completely! I have manufactured several items. Always smaller quantities as you never know if they will be bought. The only place that sources the smaller quantities at a price point that can be done for the starting business is China. Even then there is usually a limit to the smaller quantities you have to buy which in itself can be daunting as you end up with 5000 of one product sometimes and you have to trust it will sell so you can get your money back. I can tell you it doesn't always sell and I end up eating the cost. I have priced out the same quantities in the USA and it is easily twice as expensive sometimes three times more. The only time it starts to get cheaper is when you do such large orders that the price drops. Well for the unique specialty items you may be buying from a business, large manufacturing orders just don't work and can actually put that business out of business as the money is required up front when they put in a manufacturing order. All business start small with limited income and work up from there. As a small business it makes perfect sense to try and maximize your profit and value to get your name out there for the public to see. That is how it goes.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #16

Roonie, you understand my position perfectly. Thank you for sharing.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 05-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #17

Re: Products made in the China: From Trasharoo

I remember your story of how you developed the Trasharoo. Maybe Andy over at Campaign Furniture can help you find an American way to build those bags. He does canvas for his chairs and they seem to be getting very popular. Good luck and sign me up for one if you are able to go American.
http://campaignfurniturecompany.com/
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #18

Stumpalump, Sorry for your disappointment. Please remember we are trying our best to make them here. It is a work in progress. I actually talked to someone today regarding this. And to go back to the price again..there's always an exception to the rule.. of course there's folks like you and I that would pay $100 for a nice canvas trash bag.. but the vast majority will not.

As a side note, i offered the original upholstery fellow a chance to produce them for us here in CA that peasbugs used. He kindly said he would make them for $75.00 each, plus i had to pay to get them to me. Just for reference the first one took nearly 6 weeks to attain. There's no way he would of handled 1,000's and at that cost it would have been terrible resale. Not to mention the ones we make are beefier and even higher quality. I still have the prototype hanging on the wall in my shop for comparison.

Please don't think we aren't trying guys, i guess is the point im trying to make. Please be patient with us. Not everything can happen over night.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 PM   #19

Make them wherever you want to. To be competitive you have to get them manufactured where you as a business owner get the best deal and can make an acceptable profit when you sell them.

I for one, as well as most others, would not purchase the Trasharoo for $100.00. But maybe you can make a few here in the USA and charge $100.00 for those that want or need to have products made in the USA.

I will be buying one, and 4 of my friends will be buying them as well. Thanks for making a great product and for contributing to the US Economy.