Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #1

Question for Moderators?

Does anyone have a guesstimate on how much it costs to maintain a site like this? A site a I know of may start charging, and I'm wondering what the REAL costs/fees are. It's similar to this sites' layout.

I refer everyone to SMBforum for expert 4x4 van advice and because its free.

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

Re: Question for Moderators?

No idea on Jage's costs, but since you're asking...

Brent
Old 10-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #3

Again, no idea of the costs to run this site. I hope the costs are low and Jage makes a ton of money off us, but I doubt it.

For me, it has never been about his costs, but rather the value to me. How much is the site worth to me? If a fee were required, instead of voluntary, it would be the same question (as it is with any purchase I make).

Even $100/year is less than $10/month. I could spend that much for a meal at a fast food place, or one movie ticket. Much better value here.

I don't know what your other site is, or how much they might be going to charge, but you will have to decide if the utility of the site is worth the money or not.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #4

We have had our SMB two years in December. I do all my own servicing, by the book. If it wasn't for this forum I would have probably spent thousands on servicing and fixes by now. I don't need help very often but when I have needed it somebody comes through. What I donate to the forum is a very small drop in the bucket for what I get out of it.

Woody
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #5

This site has been of great value to me as well. Finding the answers I needed here was sure alot cheaper than paying someone else to do it, with the added bonus of information coming from those that have the experience.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
Does anyone have a guesstimate on how much it costs to maintain a site like this? A site a I know of may start charging, and I'm wondering what the REAL costs/fees are. It's similar to this sites' layout.
I could take a guess, but this site is considerably different from other sites like it.... similar layout is like saying an SMB off the line should be $30,000 because it's a van... $20K if you think of it as a new van with holes...

As for other sites, you can make a "site like this" for free, free software, free hosting, you can even set it up with the click of a button and a form.

If you're concerned, the questions, in my mind, to the site would be: "How much of what you're charging goes to all the people who contribute, answer questions, and post?" and second would be: "And how much are you donating back to the free software foundation that provided the software?"

But personally I'd leave the questions in my mind and instead just stop going there, that is, if it wasn't worth the entry fee.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:

I refer everyone to SMBforum for expert 4x4 van advice and because its free.

Thanks.
Hi;

It's important to remember that price is generally set by value to the purchaser not by the seller adding up his costs.

You can add up selling costs all you like, but without someone to pay them you have no sale.

In the case of possibly having to pay for access to a site you merely decide on your received value and make a decision on a purchase.

I would suggest this site is not actually free. It exists only with some form of funding. In fact your visits here and the information you gain are being subsidized by those who support the site.

Anyway, enjoy the site and consider supporting it. Jage will set up small payments or just about any other form of contribution.

(I think one of my economics professors is spinning in his grave right now.)

Regards,

Gavin
Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #8

I was just curious... Thanks....
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

It's the public radio dilemma: a minority of listeners contribute to the benefit of everyone. Thanks to Jage for the initiative--I've done old-fashioned websites, blogs, wikis and phpBBs like this one. They're all labor-intensive if done right, even if Jage graciously says it's automagical (or implies it can be). Spam filters, bandwidth, maintenance, storage fees; even setting up and processing the donations page is a chore.

A community sure like this succeeds because of all of the above plus one more critical element: its contributors. Fortunately, this site excels in both.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:

I came up with an idea to share "extra proceeds" with the most valuable contributing posters (as voted by the group), of which I'd say Im in the top 5 or so, I was just curious... Thanks....
AND most modest!!!
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote