Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
RC crawler van body

I came across a guy that does really nice 1/10 scale rc car bodies via 3D printing and he is willing to do a van if we can get 10 people to buy in. If you have Facebook look up Jiwook Kim.

I sent him a picture of a rb smb seeing that's what I have and would work on the axial sc10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #2

Garage
Dude! That's great.
Count me in for sure.
Any preliminary estimate on pricing?
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #3

I'd also like to see what the price point is before I commit. Maybe even consider a smaller scale like 1/18 or 1/24? I think a basic E-series body would be most appealing, a styrene poptop wouldn't be too terrible to build later.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
He has not given me one yet but his basic other kits are $180 and over $300 detailed out.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Garage
Ah, that is kinda spendy.
Took a look at his Facebook and Instagram pages though, he does make some incredible stuff!

Question: how does he create the 3D surface data for a vehicle to begin with? There's really two options ---

Option 1:
He sets about modeling the vehicle himself with a 3-D CAD modeling software of some kind himself. (Usually requires precise drawings and photographs to get a good result.)

Option 2:
He finds pre-existing 3D surface data online to work with (there's a ton of websites which have pre-prepared vehicle surface data for just about any car you could imagine...and for pretty cheap.) Quality of these pre-existing 3D surface files varies tremendously, as some of them are clearly vehicle-OEM-created files, some are low-information scans of vehicles (suitable mostly for video game use) and yet others are simply created by any number of private individuals themselves, using the aforementioned 3D CAD modeling softwares from option 1.

An option 3 is to kind of use both methods (start with a found/existing 3D file and then use that as a basis for creating your own new one.

Starting from scratch and modeling your own 3D CAD model could be the most time consuming, most expensive (since more labor hours involved) and yet could be the riskiest in terms of what quality of final product you get. (The modeler might....or might not "capture" the essence of the vehicle the way you would hope.)

IMHO, starting from some pre-existing 3D surface data for a Ford E-series would definitely be an ideal way to kick this off.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot to add this important bit:
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Not really sure how he does it. I'm tempted to play with the software and try to get a model together and have a friend that has a printer take it and see how it comes out.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #7

I want one to go on my Traxxas T-Maxx chassis
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

I think it's about time to bump this thread.

Kyosho released the Mad Van monster truck a few months back with a '70's E-series body: https://rc.kyosho.com/en/34412t1.htm It's pretty small at about a 10" wheelbase, but totally workable. The body is available separately, but it appears to be prepainted: https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-...502br/p1156751

In other news, Proline announced a few days ago that they will be releasing a '70's "Rock Van" with a 12.3" wheelbase. From the one crappy teaser pic I've seen, it will likely be a Dodge Tradesman-esque style. Kinda like a bigger lexan version of the Tamiya Lunchbox. Here's the product page, hopefully there will be more info on it soon: https://www.prolineracing.com/pc_pro...AAA14FD2A909BF
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #9

This is the proline van. I am going to change the grill soon. Built on SCX10 ii.

[/IMG]