Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

I love that one Ned referenced in Glenwood. It's quite nice.

A bit of a stretch for you westerners but virtually every one in Tennessee (I-40/I-24/I-75) are really beautiful. They are big, clean and staffed and always in a great wooded setting with lots of sidewalks, covered tables, etc. Alabama's are nice too and most have RV dumps.

There is a particular one out West we spent awhile at, Tie Fork rest stop near Spanish Fork UT on Hwy 6. It has a neat little museum and some train stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucker,_Utah

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #12

Sounds like a cool project! I've seen some old-school rest stops in WV, PA and western MD which fit the scope. I'll keep it in mind when out and about this spring.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #13

The best old-school rest stops are not on interstates, but rather in the older national highways. Sadly many of them are in disrepair, but they remind you of the days when a road trip was REALLY a road trip, even if only driving for a few 100 miles.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #14

Thanks everyone. These are all great. I am looking forward to seeing new ones trickle in as people explore.

I am also very interested in the old ones in disrepair.

As some of you have brought up, the state's philosophy on road travel really impacts the style and quality of the rest stops.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #15

The whole state of Wyoming has the absolute best and most impressive interstate rest stops of any place I've traveled. The grass is green, good pet areas, nice facilities, well kept, pavilions, good public information, well-lit, and legal over-night parking.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #16

The I-79 North, Kirby welcome center at Greene County PA has a miners memorial to the workers who lost their lives in Robena mine complex disaster- a facility alledgedly state of the art in safety advances. What is not publicized about this rest stop are the display cases of personal equipment donated by the familes of victims and workers at Robena- a truly heartfelt display.

I've been torn between denying an American worker a living wage or heritage and the thought that with all our technologies and safety advances, anyone should lose their life in a mine in current times. But it has happened in USA as recently as 2010 (Upper Big Branch in WV). So I've been disheartened about that for a long time now.

Greene County mine tragedy recalled, 50 years later | TribLIVE

http://www.co.greene.pa.us/secured/g...WelcomeCtr.pdf
Old 06-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #17

Has there been any movement on this project? Still sounds like a good webapp is like to see/help with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #18
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned5555 View Post
Definitely the public areas along I-70 in Glenwood Canyon, CO. Aside from being an impressive drive along cantilevered interstate, the rest stops are full fledged parks with picnic areas, river access and a continuous bike trail.

https://www.codot.gov/travel/state-h...lenwood-canyon
Ned, funny/ironic this thread has come about...just a couple of weeks ago on our way home to Iowa, we were wondering about that bike path! It looks as if it goes quite a few miles along the river and beside/under I-70! Looks GREAT!! Want to do that for sure, but don't know where it starts, what its called etc!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #19
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I have two (for now), both on I-80, one is just at the border of WY & NB and has a hiking trail to the top of the foot hill there, and the other is around an hour or so down the road in WY at the Lincoln Monument...both have trails and some interactive things, but are modern with only a hint of what you're talking about, but close!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Has there been any movement on this project? Still sounds like a good webapp is like to see/help with

I am starting on it this summer and will continue during spring/summer 2018 and summer/fall 2019. Hopefully will be done at that point.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote