Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #11

I am interested. Am SMBless until April. OK to car camp and wing-it. I live one hour north of Santa Fe in a small town called Dixon. And am familiar with events in Taos, as well as, hiking trails in Taos and points south. I can make some suggestions for Santa Fe.

salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #12

Front range, co is a 7hr freeway slog away. I'm interested but realistically a low probability.

Chipping in lets me follow the thread.
Pritikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to talk with the folks at Commonweal to see what we can put together. I'm leaning towards the last weekend of September or the first weekend of October unless I hear otherwise from the forum. Will be back.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #14

Santa Fe Meetup

That is an area I'd really like to see and almost planned for November but decided to go to Oregon & NoCal instead. I'd be interested in a 2018 date. October works well for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to talk with the folks at Commonweal to see what we can put together. I'm leaning towards the last weekend of September or the first weekend of October unless I hear otherwise from the forum. Will be back.

Don
That's my Oktoberfest time back in WI (32 years running...).

Oh well... any time you want company for a brew, I'm just up the Hill. I'll probably be hitting the Bosque a couple times this winter - come along for a beer and pizza and Socorro!
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage
A bump to this thread. I shelved plans due to financial difficulties at the preserve. They're out of the woods, mostly, so this becomes a possibility again. As I said at the beginning, the Galisteo Basin Preserve is well located for area attractions and home to an extensive mountain biking network in addition to other local biking areas. (Santa Fe is a silver level ride center per IMBA).

So, I'm back to see how many folks would be interested in coming and when. This would be a unique event for the preserve and made available at least in part because of my volunteer work there rather than the preserve's desire for overnight visitors. In fact, they don't allow overnight camping ordinarily and have no facilities for such. We would bivouac in an open field with no amenities like porta-potties, though we could rent one. (We could also consider renting an event tent as there are no large trees in the area. This is pinyon-juniper country.) The meetup may be limited in size, again because that's not the preserve's reason for existence and to minimize impact on the terrain. There would be no formal charge but we would make a contribution to the preserve for being able to be there.

If we arranged something this year, the Indian Market is Aug 17 & 18 for anyone interested. Like I mentioned in my first note, another interesting event is the Abq Balloon Fiesta in Oct. Beyond those dates, I'd say late August or early October are prime. By late August the heat should be breaking though there could be rain. October is usually quiet though it can turn cold.

I must emphasize this would be primitive camping even if it is only a mile from US285 and fewer than 20 miles to downtown Santa Fe. Our SMBs would even get to traverse a rut or two along the way.

Let me know if you're interested.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #17

Garage
Looks like we could do late August or first or third weekend in October. I'm elk hunting the second weekend in October.
Matt
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #18
Site Team

I'm still game. I have a Late July trip with my son to Northern AZ and Utah, but Im fairly flexible other than that.

A campfire would make an early Oct meetup really nice, but are campfires allowed? If nothing else I have a firepit that is raised off the ground so it wouldn't be a ground-based fire.

Herb