Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

Re: Saw our first Transit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millerfish
The Transit is not a happy future for me either. However the more I see them they are looking better. The one big issue is the small wheel wells. You would need a big lift to get much tire under it. This one was 4X4 diesel. The guys driving it said it had plenty of power, but that's compared to Euro versions of power.[photo][/photo]
That's in Geneva, Cop truck... the negative side is no frame to be able to have a real 4x4 and big wheels as you say.

AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Not sure why GM vans are being overlooked in favor of those beauties. I have driven both the E series and a GM and in my opinion the E series C frame is not optimal for this application (heavy 4x4), allows way too much roll especially without an integral roof. I am comparing a Ford RB to a GM EB which should tip in favor of Ford but the GM still wins easily for stiffness. The Transit would only be worse. Maybe the cancellation of the E series will be a catalyst for someone to convert GM vans to solid front axle.
Uh.... The GM vans are also C-channel ladder frames. Only the front section is boxed (so it the E-series). But the GM frame is less than half as strong. That's why all serious 4x4 conversion are on the Ford.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Not sure why GM vans are being overlooked in favor of those beauties. I have driven both the E series and a GM and in my opinion the E series C frame is not optimal for this application (heavy 4x4), allows way too much roll especially without an integral roof. I am comparing a Ford RB to a GM EB which should tip in favor of Ford but the GM still wins easily for stiffness. The Transit would only be worse. Maybe the cancellation of the E series will be a catalyst for someone to convert GM vans to solid front axle.
Uh.... The GM vans are also C-channel ladder frames. Only the front section is boxed (so it the E-series). But the GM frame is less than half as strong. That's why all serious 4x4 conversion are on the Ford.
You might want to check your facts and also refer to my sig. As I said, I've driven both (actually as recently as today). As a Ford guy (just retired a company Ranger at 506k miles, and the 2nd line of my sig is my 3rd E-series, have owned countless other trucks as opposed to a few GMs and Dodges), my point was only to say that the sky is not falling and that the GM is better than the E series in this application, ergo it will be the much better alternative than the Transhit. I doubt anyone else has my first hand experience owning both in a SMB 4x4. Given this perspective, I thought I would add my $0.02 upon hearing people bemoan the demise of the Econoline.

BTW, how are those auto front hub locks working out for you?
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I saw a Transit Tuesday and took a picture of it but it wasn't a Ford
Dave - Great photo! Here on the Oregon coast it's notoriously cloudy, so I was shocked when it was actually clear enough to see the big event. Of course I was totally unprepared. I managed to make a crude solar telescope out of some binoculars, a magnifying glass, and a sheet of printer paper. It was enough to see the sun and the dot of Venus. But your photo is much better! Thanks for sharing. How did you do it?
I’m glad when I looked through the scope I didn’t see a Ford Transit…might of broke the mirror .
Aldercrest, I have a couple of solar scopes. Apparently when somebody broke into my home last year
they got some of my equipment During the eclipse I noticed a camera and some adaptors were
missing, so I had to use some old equipment to make the shot of Venus…at least it came out
OK, I just needed a taller eye piece to get the full view of the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Boy, talk about lipstick on a pig.

Herb
Back on topic, I agree with you Herb. I don't know if a lift and tires would do much for those.
All the vans being designed these days seems to mirror the European stuff.
Sorry but I can’t get in to that style.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #15

That blue van is a generation old.

The is the current transit (which is on its way out for the "new" Transit). This is a factory AWD.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Still ugly IMO. Maybe if you chop the top and add a low profile PH.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #17

So if you do a search for 2013 Ford Transit USA or North America the only images or information makes it sound like it will be another year or more before we see any of these in this country. I know Ford was doing some advanced testing of them in the states but you cannot even order one yet. Some of the pictures don't look too bad but like we used to say at my old dealership when you can kick a tire and slam a door then and only then will you really know what it will look like.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote