Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #1

SMB Sighting and Rumor

On my way to Denver to look for housing last week I passed a red SMB southbound on I-25 in New Mexico. It was 4x4 with a bra and a larger cargo carrier on top. I honked several times but the guy didn't look over. Was that anybody here?

Then on the way back I spent the night in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico and in the morning dropped by the local Philips 66 where I'd filled up the tank the night before. The cashier and a customer started chatting with my about my van. They were surprised because apparently a lady who lives in T or C has almost the exact same thing. Green, PH and the Aluminess bumpers- they did note that she has a winch and I don't... haha. I was sure I'd be pulled over for stealing her van- it's a small enough town that more people probably would have noticed the strange guy driving her van, which is what the gas station folks thought at first.

Anyway I left a note with the gas station attendant with the website addy, where I was assured the owner of my van's twin comes from time to time. Gotta love small towns.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #2

Officer Fife:Dispatch please put out an APB on a green 4x4 Van minus a winch. It was last seen travelling south bound out of town. The perp handed a note to the nice attendant at the stop and rob and mentioned something about a website.
Dispatch: Office Fife the green 4x4 Van has been located at home with the correct owner.
Officer Fife: He's trying to play a Houdini on me! I'm code 3!! I'll get him!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #3

That's funny jage. I have the same problem here with an older tan version of our rig seen around town. People will say that they saw me at Safeway on Saturday, when we never shop at Safeway.The only difference is that the older rig has a "Bounty Hunter" medallion on it, whatever that is supposed to signify.

Last Wednesday, December 5th I saw what I thought is an SMB getting new tires at our local Costco. It was a white RB 2WD Chevy, with a penthouse top and a van length aisle configuration. What was unusual was that it had a "56" license plate, indicating that it is registered in remote Lincoln County in far northwest Montana. Don't know what brought the owner down here, since there are several Costco's closer to Lincoln County than our town's.

I came back down to a trailhead on Mt. Helena City Park after a cold hike yesterday, and found a pretty red Quigley 4X4 EB van parked next to my car. Nice rig with local MT plates that I have never seen before.

When did Sportsmobile start putting the name "Sportsmobile" on the sides of vans? Neither the tan rig or the white Chevy had SMB on them, but the red 4X4 van had a Quigley logo on it's side.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #4

We had a 74 dodge that had a Sportsmobile logo on each side, it was a raised metal nameplate like any of the major auto manufacturers would have used.