Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #11

Re: SMB WEST will not refund my $500 deposit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammyauto
Absolutely right. SMB is a business and it needs to be run accordingly in order to survive. I can only imagine the outcuy and second-guessing on this board if they were to bite the dust.........
R
I dont believe they follow this board
Otherwise many of the issues would be handled

Just like all the warm and friendly email we get from SMB

and of course the "thanx for your business" card/email

I personally was ready to buy a new fully outfitted Crusier top (+/-$130,000)
but was unable to locate one thru the factory to see
By the time Angle had stepped up to the plate, I had already
made other choices

Let's give Alan a chance to get it right
Probably best if we just agree to disagree. You have a cynical view towards SMB for reasons that I'm sure you consider valid. I'm a satisfied customer.

R

Old 09-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo1
HI: i figured the $500 was to get a place in line? like I said, nothing was signed or finalized?
My home equity line did not come through....no funds now!
jeff
I am not trying to be mean or pick on you, please understand that...
But you ask for them to schedule you into production, agreed on some kind of work (they knew to order a top) and gave them $500....
But you hadn't secured the ability to pay for the work in full.

So why would SMB give you back money that goes to cover their time, shipping, and now to store something in inventory because YOU didn't have things sorted out on your end before making a move.

They acted on faith that you would keep your word, it isn't their fault that you couldn't make the money thing happen. I would not expect a refund due to the trouble I caused. They made a spot for you in the production schedule and now they have to reset that schedule, pay the shipping for your roof, and store it somewhere (that money is tied up) and risk damage to that inventory.

The most that you could ask of them is if the $500 could be applied to holding a future place in line once you have the money together.

Again I am not trying to pick on you, if you had some tragedy in your life completely out of your control things might feel different.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #13

SMB should give your money back if they cannot show documentation that the deposit is non refundable. All the above makes sense and SMB should back it up with documentation. If they can't do that for whatever reason than they should reimburse you. It does not matter if they are saving you a spot, ordering parts or whatever. The deposit is either refundable or non refundable and it needs to be clearly stated by them, not after the fact.

If you missed the non-refundable part than you are out $500.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #14

The way I see it when you asked for the work, you gave your word........
Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #15

Well you asked for opinions and it looks like you got um. My two pennies worth said you ask for work, signed a verbal contract when you sent in a down payment, got a time slot, and advance work was started. Your deposit got the ball rolling. I am not surprised that they do not want to refund the money but I am surprised that you think you made no commitment.

I don't know what California law says and I am sorry that you burnt yourself and put $500 dollars at risk on a project you could not fund. Sounds like a lot but you were talking about spending what $6k-$10 or more on the SMB project that YOU kicked off.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #16

I see there are alot of folks drank the Kool aid here! LOL
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #17

i would like some kool aid......or did I already drink some.........can't rember....anyway Im still thirsty.

DAVE
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Let's look at it as if it was something different...
Let's say I want a swimming pool, the contractor and I sit down, talk about designs, he measures my backyard, and gives me a quote. He does all this at now charge on the hope of getting my business.

Now a week later I call him up, say "I want it", give him my deposit money and say "give me a date"...he puts me into the schedule, maybe pushing up some jobs and pushing back others, orders the concrete/rebar/schedules to rent some equipment/orders the tile/pump/filter.

Now I ocme back and say "whoops, turns out I can't get that loan for the pool, sorry"...he is stuck with a pump/filter he can't return (he hopes someone else will need that model soon but he still has to sit on it and wait), he is out the shipping cost of the tile/pump/filter and other goods plus he is out that original time he spent with me plus the time after I said ok...those hours he could have spent on a paying project.

So would you get mad at that guy if he wanted to keep the deposit for the work put in on the project, ordering what you said you needed, getting his ducks in a row because you said everything was good to go?

Business is business...if you don't have your act together then it is up to you to ask questions like "hey can I get my deposit back if my loan doesn't come through?" did that question get ask?
If you are waiting on a loan then the honorable thing to do would have been to let SMB West know that and not give the go until you have everything secured.

The point of a deposit is to weed out the time sucking people...When I used to own a cigar shop and some guy would come in talking about a party, wedding or whatever and wanted an expensive box of cigars I would ask for a deposit so that if he didn't come back then at least I wasn't totally out of luck if the sticks didn't sell for a long time...that is my money tied up in that inventory instead of being used for other things.

So no drinking of anything here...just an understanding of basic business and how the real world works I am not trying to start a fight, just trying to give perspective.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #19

Quote:
It is http://www.sportsmobile.com

Not http://www.sportsmobile.org

No kool aid necessary to understand that!
R
Old 09-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #20

I don't know many people do treat their SMB like a temple or church or such. So maybe ".org" is better then ".com". Think I will have a second glass of Cool Aid.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote