Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Solar Oven cooking

I don't expect to get a lot of responses on this topic but I was just wondering if anyone does the Solar Oven cooking while they are out on the trail? It's kind of cool to think that you can set the thing up, go exploring & come back to a fully cooked meal.
Thanks Woot.........

WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #2

Re: Solar Oven cooking

i've never thought of leaving the camp with food out due to the critters and such that it might attract here in the PNW. the idea of solar cooking has crossed my mind, though i'd feel better if i was around camp and not down at the river panning for gold when things are smelling good. I've never seen a black bear in our camp, but i know they are in the area and wouldn't want to temp fate. your situation could be different ( : critterless : )
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Yeh, Good point. My wife is usually close to the van. I guess you could place it on top of the van if your parked in a sunny area. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a Solar Oven for a while & think that it is a cool idea but it would depend on location/situation.
Woot......
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

I am with you Woot , solar ovens look cool, I don't have one, but would like to pick one up. have been watching some vids on utube. I am not to concerned about critters.........

DAVEF
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

LOL.. Dave... since U R from the Sierra foothills of Cali... : )
just don't go up to Lake Tahoe and leave that solar oven cookin' in your campground... i think they are fines for such practice these days with the out-of-control black bear situation there now. That wasn't the case when i grew up there back in the 1970's.
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

I use this one at home in the summer. It seems to work best (for me) with the additional reflector attached and in the middle of the day when the sun is highest. In seasons when the sun doesn't get very high, and in summer after the sun is lower (3:30 or so), I just don't get the results I would like.

I tend to use it on really hot summer days when I want to bake something, but don't want to heat up the house. Baking inside on those days when it's 112 outside overloads the AC so badly we can't sleep at night. Those are the times the thing is really useful.

All that being said, I am not sure how well it would do in PNW with fog, cooler clime, etc. I imagine it would do o.k. in DV in spring and fall (in summer, it wood cook quickly and you'd have to worry about it melting). It surely would benefit energy consumption during extended boondocking, but it would also take up precious space.

http://www.solarovens.org/

Dave F, if you are really interested, we might be willing to sell ours. We're in Sacramento.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #7

Saw two "Sport" solar ovens demonstrated in 2009 in Haiti. They used them to cook rice. The sun was out all day, the sun was high in the sky, little or no wind and the ambient temperature was around 100F in the shade. I personally was not impressed.

Not sure I would be willing to leave food cooking outside in a "slow cooker" for hours in bear country. Sounds like you would just be asking for trouble.

On the other hand in my back yard with a cold case of beer it might be fun to prepare a meal in. Only problem is very little sun light gets through the trees. On the other hand, if the beer case was full and the beer was VERY cold.....

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #8

I plinked around looking for solar ovens and I was much more impressed with the parabola cookers- it looks more like something you could design to pack and the supposed speed of heating a frying pan is impressive. In addition your frying pan can be dual use if you need to use an oven or the fire, whereas I'm not sure how versatile the crock from in the solar oven would be.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Here is a picture of one in "action". Note all the side reflectors. I really do not know the time that was required to cook the rice in the oven but a 'slow crock pot cooker' would be good description. It would save on cooking wood and charcoal and maybe save one or two of Haiti's last trees.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We have two different solar ovens and are experimenting with them. We have not yet used them on the trail, but when we add a trailer to the gear, they will definitely go along.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote