Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

SOLD, today, $600 (Suzuki Samurai)

Is there something wrong with me, or is there really something cool about Samurai's?

I bought this one a couple weeks ago, to explore the issue. And then sold it today because ... well ... I don't know exactly why I sold it today. But I think I am going to get another one that is waaaaay less hammered.

Anyone else have a hankering for a Samurai? Why?
Attached Thumbnails
photo 2.JPG  

Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: SOLD, today, $600 (Suzuki Samurai)

Hi my name is Goose and I have a Sami problem.

Had a tin top that I did well over 250k miles in and want another

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

What type of price range are one's in decent shape?

I met a couple who were towing one behind their big Class A and they mentioned that some years were better than others due to a model change with the engine. I just cannot remember the details as it was awhile ago.

So light you can tow behind anything.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #4

Garage

I sorta want one, or something like it. I figure it will do just about anything a side by side UTV would do, plus its street legal. I like to explore remote places on my dualsport bike - the Samurai would allow my wife to come along too, since she doesn't ride. And I would much rather destroy a cheap jeep instead of my van.

It's hard to find a non-modified one. I've never seen one advertised over $5,000, and maybe as low as $3,000. The Sidekicks and Trackers are pretty nice, too.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

OHHH. They are the bomb. Getting harder and harder to find. Lots of build up parts, mods you can do, etc. Rather a rough ride on those leafs, however, so not a comfort toad. For that consider maybe the Sidekick, which is also pretty cool.

I had a Chevy Tracker and loved it. Flat towed it behind the van. Cost about $3k and I raised it, had custom fabbed rear bumper, skids, etc. It's surprisingly capable offroad, although it was oddly pitched to RAV4 type buyers. Nice and light. Unfortunately the folks I sold it to took it to Aamco who told them they needed a new tranny cuz it was loose (?); $2000 later with a rebuilt tranny that leaks empty about every 3k miles it's hosed. After I did all that work on it I was gutted.

And yeah, bunch of my friends are seeing the writing on the wall and transitioning from UTVs and ATVs to small jeeps and what not. I'd throw a Myers Manx or similar into that pile. Better to go with old gear since it's easier to mod, past smog hassles, and usually lighter. You just have to have street legal stuff these days, esp in CA. It's a shame; some UTVs are super efficient on gas and would make great little vehicles for short trips if they'd let us use them on the street. Way more efficient than a "Smart Car."
Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #6

I really wanted one too, but found a 92 4.0 5-speed Wrangler first. I love it. It's my (almost) daily driver and will go anywhere. All stock, no big tires or mods. I also like that unlike a Samurai I can pull a trailer full of firewood with it.
I still want a Samurai though.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I really wanted one too, but found a 92 4.0 5-speed Wrangler first. I love it. It's my (almost) daily driver and will go anywhere. All stock, no big tires or mods. I also like that unlike a Samurai I can pull a trailer full of firewood with it.
I still want a Samurai though.
HA! I am just coming off of a 91 Jeep YJ. It was fun, and Samurai-like b/c it had the grossly-underpowered 2.5l. Mine had open diffs and spent most of its time losing headway, and teaching me to manipulate momentum and choose good lines. Can't say for sure why I sold that one either.

It was "kind of" like a toy. The Samurai was "fully one hundred percent" like a toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copescobra
What type of price range are one's in decent shape?
Seems like the internet sells them frequently in my area for $2000-$4000. I have seen as high as $11,000. I have seen as low as $600, which I bought. My next one will be in the $4000 range, I think (but don't tell momma).
Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote