Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
'Splain yer handle

Several folks at the Jackson M&G asked what rionapo meant. Here's an explanation; chime in if you have an esoteric handle and want to confess what's behind it.

The Rio Napo is a major tributary of the Amazon. It flows from the Ecuadorian highlands, draining most of that country east of the Andes, and joins the Rio Ucayali just below Iquitos, Peru to form the Amazon proper. In 1541, it was the route of the original transcontinental journey across South America in an accidental expedition led by Francisco de Orellana.

Orellana was part of an expedition led by Gonzalo Pizarro, half-brother of Francisco who conquered the Inca in Peru. He forgot his orders to explore the Rio Coca, which would have required rowing up mile-wide Napo, and turned downriver instead. Since 3000 natives and 140 Spaniards had already died on Pizarro's watch out of 4000 and 220 original members, respectively, one could assume Orellana thought he would be better off heading east to the Atlantic Ocean.

Long story short, he and his few surviving troops were the first Europeans to travel the Amazon, which was originally known as the Rio de Orellana. (The name was changed thanks to the Dominican Gaspar de Carvajal's chronicle of the journey and its description of certain female-led peoples along the way. It was a long, lonely trip, you know.) Contrary to Euro-centric myth about tropical peoples, they found several large civilizations along the way, living in cities stretching for miles along the river's banks with significant agricultural operations. (Anthropologist Wade Davis says the Amazonian population numbered in the tens of thousands at the time of Orellana's visit. European diseases and slavery took care of most of them.) None of the communities welcomed the group with open arms, however.

My adventures on the Napo weren't nearly so grand, never encountering any Amazons for example, but they're aged enough now to have some of the patina of Orellana's exploits. Since our SMB represents a modern dugout canoe, seems like rionapo is a good enough handle for future explorations. And now you know.

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #2

Re: 'Splain yer handle

Cool, I must confess I looked yours up!

On a MUCH less eloquent note, 86 Scotty was my first camper, a 1986 Serro Scotty tandem axle 20' camper. It was unique and got lots of attention, similar to a pop up van. Since then, I have been 86scotty on numerous camping (and other) forums, however if you run across Ode2joy that's me too. I'm not Scotty and my wife isn't Joy, they just kind of stuck.

Eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
. . . Since then, I have been 86scotty on numerous camping (and other) forums, however if you run across Ode2joy that's me too. I'm not Scotty and my wife isn't Joy, they just kind of stuck.

Eric
Go together well, too. (Was the Scotty blue and white?)

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #4

Mine is pretty obvious. Just 'old guy' in Spanish. As in 'old guys rule'.

I've always read your handle as Rio Napo because I'm lucky enough to have 'been there, done that', but I assumed it probably meant something else to you. I mean - who takes the name of an obscure Ecuadorian river for a handle?

Sherri & I were there a few years ago kayaking around Tena and visiting a jungle preserve a few hours down the Napo from El Coca.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Mine is pretty obvious. Just 'old guy' in Spanish. As in 'old guys rule'.
It's all we have left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Sherri & I were there a few years ago kayaking around Tena and visiting a jungle preserve a few hours down the Napo from El Coca.
Pretty incredible, no? I mean, if you like unending trees, insects, birds, water and everything else alive.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #6

I've asked many members about their handles - I asked you at Jackson.

My handle seems self explanatory. My concern is what happens if I get a different van to replace that one? My wife suggested I change my handle to 'Turncoat' if I get a gasser; Traitor if I get a Brand 'C' or 'D'. I guess I wasn't thinking very far ahead with my handle.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Mine is simply my OSU username, automatically generated by the servers when I first started school there. I figured the less usernames to remember the better...
Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

daveb?

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
My handle seems self explanatory. My concern is what happens if I get a different van to replace that one? My wife suggested I change my handle to 'Turncoat' if I get a gasser; Traitor if I get a Brand 'C' or 'D'. I guess I wasn't thinking very far ahead with my handle.
Don't worry, after all the trouble to have underscores remain in your name, I'm not changing it!

My name is Jeremiah. Many people over the years have been prone to literally read that as Jeremy, most notably those in authoritarian positions during roll call. The first time it happened at a new school, in middle school, I decided to nip it in the bud and claimed 'JJ' as a nick.

It stuck like hot glue and forever removed the onus of being called Jeremy , however apparently JJ was TOO LONG and if you literally stop saying it in the middle of saying it, you get jage.

Around the same time I was reading Book 3 in the Dragonriders of Pern and there was a character named Jayge, who had a deceptively fast steed named Fairex. My Comet GT and a serial series of computers after which were nicknamed Fairex.

Jage also became my domain in college, when it was that or jjj.com and has been my goto online handle ever since.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #10

Several forums and mostly the same:
scbrian=south carolina brian.

Not to be confused with the more popular geographical area around here, SoCal.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote