Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

Re: Spotted in Baja

"People stop to help others there, the way it used to be here."

DITTO

shadzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #12

I have been going to baja 1-2 times a year fro the past 4 years and once you are well away from the border, it is pretty safe. Baja is not a big transporting state as far as I understand.

I bring my kids down there and car camp.
amoswhiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #13

I'm getting in Baja mode for a week long trip we have planned for October. This will be the 7th year I'll be making the trip, (first year with the SMB) but one of the members of the group has been going since he was a kid, and now he's taking HIS kids.

We've never had a safety issue, police hassle, or felt unsafe. And I'd echo Shadzima in that the people are very helpful and hospitable.

I'll admit our situation is improved by the fact we travel with a couple locals who live in Baja. One has a house in Ensenada, and the other manages a surf camp. They are always able to pave the way to smooth sailing.

My decision to buy a SMB was due to the fact that last year 2 of the 3 vehicles got stuck (not mine). REALLY stuck. One 4x4 and one 2x4. Eight hours of digging and pulling. We lost a full day of lounging on the beach and had to alter our destination plans, but finally made it to Punta Final for what tuned out to be a great spot!
ar307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #14

I'm leaving in 8 days for a month long solo motorcycle ride down through mainland Mexico with a ferry ride over to La Paz and a ride north through Baja. The news hype is way over the top creating fear. Do your own resewrch and get info from people who travel the areas you plan on visiting. Mexico is a tourist friendly destination. Don't let your un justified fear keep you away from a memorable adventure. The biggest problem I've ever had in Mexico is a vicious hangover.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #15

Garage

ive had lots of friends have a great time in mexico, but ive also had a good friend murdered, and another beaten within inches of his life. the stories i heard from the one that lived about the federalies absolutely floored me. plus, how hard it was for the family members here in idaho to get thier sons body back was just heartbreak after heartbreak on top of the obvious. another girl i know well said the first thing she saw driving into town was a body on the side of the road, but nothing negative after that. both examples were in puerto vallarta, but my group of 6 friends went to the same town and had an incredible time, and had zero stories of anything even remotely sketchy....other than thier hangovers as mentioned above, lol.

ive got a bad taste in my mouth about mexico, but i would love to go check it out someday and get over my little phobia. i just wouldnt do it solo. id feel a lot more comfortable with people familiar with the area.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #16

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #17

Just returned from an awesome, non-drama, relaxing, fish filled trip. We spent a week camping on the beach around Gonzaga Bay. The only down side was waiting at the border to return to the US.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar307
Just returned from an awesome, non-drama, relaxing, fish filled trip. We spent a week camping on the beach around Gonzaga Bay. The only down side was waiting at the border to return to the US.
Looks like a terrible spot . What were you catching? We just returned from Abreojos for a surf trip. My brother-in-law caught a ton of yellow tail from his kayak. I'm assuming you returned through San Ysidro, Tecate has been much less painful.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #19

Yeah, it was awful

We were mainly catching trigger fish from the shore, and cabria from the raft. We did manage to hook into a Sierra on the slow troll. Unfortunately there was a storm down around Cabo that left the normally placid Sea of Cortez a mini Pacific.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar307
Looks like a terrible spot . What were you catching? We just returned from Abreojos for a surf trip. My brother-in-law caught a ton of yellow tail from his kayak. I'm assuming you returned through San Ysidro, Tecate has been much less painful.
How was Abreojos? I heard it gets windy there, did it get really windy in the afternoons?

Funny related story, down in Punta San Carlos a few years back in the spring, and a bunch of Gorge guys were coming through from La Ventana. They kept talking about a spot they stopped off at on their way up, calling it Abre Joes. We thought, WTF!? What is this new spot they are talking about? We eventually figured out (yeah, I know, took too long) that they were talking about Abreojos. I gues Oregonians aren't that familiar with the Spanish pronunciations, even after they spent the whole winter in Ventana.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote