Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
SRA's

I hope not but I finally saw a sign stating at least one park in my area is closing and i wonder how many more on on the chopping block.

What really gets my goat, is the ranger there claims if the state took all the money from the park fees and used it for the state park operations, they would have more than enough money to keep them all open with some cash let over. That could be BS and the guy just wants to save his job, but I still think closing them is a cryin shame
Attached Thumbnails
SRA.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 PM   #2

SRA's

That is to bad. Last election here in Oregon we voted to fund state parks from lottery revenues. We are building new parks and updating others.

It always amazes me the different priorities state governments have.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Re: SRA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
...It always amazes me the different priorities state governments have.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse
Well in California, the lottery money goes to the schools throughout the state. Then again, while that sounds more noble than funding parks, in typical government fashion, the lawmakers decided that since the schools were getting a certain amount of money from the lottery profits, they would decrement the school budget by that amount.

Amazing that people keep reelecting politicians who make decisions like that.

Herb
Old 11-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

What's amazing is that we keep electing politicians AT ALL. They ought to take all the politicians and put 'em with the 99.9% of lawyers (the ones that give the other .1% a bad name), and hide 'em all somewhere that they can't be found!
Bill
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Site Team

I think the fact that many politicians ARE lawyers, is the root of the problem.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

Garage

What do you call 1,000,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #7

Unfortunately Dave your Ranger is speaking the truth , much of the money's collected from recreational use in California from Parks, Hunting , Fishing and Off Road Facilities is funneled into the General Fund and most of us know where much of that goes !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #8

SRA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
What's amazing is that we keep electing politicians AT ALL. They ought to take all the politicians and put 'em with the 99.9% of lawyers (the ones that give the other .1% a bad name), and hide 'em all somewhere that they can't be found!
Bill
.1%??? Wow! What an optimist! I was leaning towards a much lower number...
Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Yeah Gregg, I don't like how the general fund is used. Its a way to steal taxpayers money to fund special pet projects by some... well we seem to know what these kinds of people are who work for us by what I'm reading above. I just found out almost every SRA is in my area is closing I just spent the weekend on a local roadtrip with Zeta (trip report coming) and we stayed at Turlock Lake SRA but its also on the chopping block. The people should insist that park fees go directly to the park maintenance and operations...what's left over can go toward opening other projects. But folks who use the SRA's are in the minority so I see more and more closing. Most people in this state don't care... Sad to see.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #10

Wow folks! Almost hate to say but I'm was a govt paid park planner. I was one of those admin/operations types. I can share with you that I worked my butt off for the people in my city - working at least two or three nights each week (after 5pm, and yes I started my day at 8am) to work with community members so that our city parks could meet people's needs and desires. I "retired" at 50 (just this summer) so I could spend more time travelling in our SMB. I never stole any money; didn't work to fund pet projects etc. Instead, I was able to leverage taxpayers money to bring in literally millions of dollars of grants, private, foundation funds; also to work w/neighbors/citizens who volunteered their time to make improvements to parks/open spaces that they cared about.

Please stop bashing govt! Many of us work extremely hard to improve our communities. There are also lots of good politicians. If you're not happy, the get involved. You don't need to be a big donor - just speak out at public meetings, write letters, call your elected officials. So few people do this - but I'll tell you as a life long govt employee, personal contact makes a huge impact!

I "retired" at 50 because my family has decided that we can live a simple life on just one salary. So I am now spending my time volunteering to help people with disabilities and boondocking in my SMB. And no, I don't get a big retirement - I don't get one penny until I turn 65, then at a very reduced amount since I retired early.
dstark is offline   Reply With Quote