Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Stupid drivers

What is the stupidist thing you have seen on the road? Some of you long distance drivers must have seen real doozies.

Here's mine:

Crossing Arizona, we come up behind 6 cars following a HUGE piece of equipment with Highway Patrol, flashing lights, leading and following. Ok, he's going 55-60 and taking up two lanes. It would be an issue if he was going 35, but his speed is not a big deal.

Then the 3rd car in line pulls out and passes, yes passes the Highway Patrol all lit up. At the bottom of the hill, we see he is having a conversation with one of the patrolmen. And, 1/4 mile later the caravan pulls over to let cars pass.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #2

Re: Stupid drivers

Well, twice this week I have been passed on the RIGHT shoulder while turning right in to one of our stations in a tractor trailer. I'm talking secondary rd, 40 mph speed limit. I put on my RIGHT turn signal and slow down gradually to about 5 mph to make the sharp RIGHT into a tight entrance, and just as I swing out a little left to set up for my turn with my RIGHT signal still on, some jackass swings over and passes me on the RIGHT!!!! TWICE this week this happened to me and once to another driver at the same spot.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #3

This is about 20 years ago now, but I was on my way home from college, heading north on I-5 somewhere around Los Banos. So, two lanes, trucks on the right doing 60ish, cars on the left doing 65 to 85 (or faster). We come up on a line of cars stacked in the left lane doing 55mph. 15 or 20 cars ahead is a motor home (think Pace Arrow), and he has decided to camp in the left lane because the right lane is bumpy from all the trucks.

So, I pass him on the right with a few of the other cars, but instead of moving on, I pull back into the left lane, brake quickly to 45, and the RV moves right to pass. I accelerate away, the 50 cars being him accelerate to pass, and the RV is pinned back in the right lane where he belongs.

I don't know who is the worst driver there - the RV driver impeding traffic, or the punk kid who passed him and then slowed down. You may judge differently, but that RV sticks in my head as a particularly stupid driver. I could think of others, but they are almost all going to be people driving 10 to 15 mph under the speed limit, and then actively preventing others from passing. I understand driving slow due to capabilities of the driver or the vehicle, but I don't understand why it is so hard for people to give way.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Unfortunately I have a ton of them. Sometimes I just don't get it. I think there is just a lot of rude self centered people out there. I understand road rage! But there are those...well, PEOPLE. I've never understood why we hold class A drivers like to a certain level when it's usually the dumb class C drivers that cause 99% of the trouble.
At work we had to build a transmission line across highway 99 here in California which involves putting nets up over the roadway. It involves creating a window and stopping traffic in both directions on the highway. So the job is scheduled, everybody is ready and two of us have to take handhelds and ride with the CHP officers on each side of the highway where they start their typical side to side motion from one side of the highway to the other slowing traffic with emergency light blazing and taking traffic to a stop. Like Mike’s story sure enough this idiot keep trying to pass until the CHP started screaming a few choice words and finally tells me, if this M&#$^!>^%^er passes me he’s gonna get a ticket. Well he finally got around us... yep, he did get a ticket.
I usually have to block off roadway at least once a month and it is unbelievable how many dummies think there going to get through whether LE or FD has the road blocked or we barricade it. One time a lady just kept coming at the CHP at a slow “I’m comin thru attitude” where I yelled stop and the CHP promptly hit her hood with his flashlight. All the blue flashing lights in the world were not stopping her. She came W/I five foot of a low energized 12Kv line. Her excuse; But I have to pick my kids

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

I witnessed a young kid in his 20's attempt to drive a Ferrari over a curb in a parking lot last month to avoid having to wait at a backed up stop light. He high centered and had to call a tow truck. I hope the tow charged him triple. I left the restaurant and drove over the curb in the van right next to him and waved while the tow was hooking up to him.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

Garage

quite a few years back, but an old couple traveling from mccall idaho twords boise towing a civic behind a pretty big rv. highway 55 is a 2 lane road with a small handfull of slow vehicle turnouts (which very rarely get used). old couple was going about 35-40mph in 55-65mph zones. had a line of cars behind them a good 2 miles long (nothing out of the ordinary on that road), but the civic they were towing had a flat tire and had been flat long enough that the tire was gone, and just the rim was skipping down the road. it was at the height of fire season and the sparks from the civic rim was starting random fires for over an hour on the side of the road. quite a few people had tried to get up next to him to tell him to pull over, but he thought they were road raging him and ignored all attempts to get him to pull over. needless to say, they started all kinds of serious fires. last i heard they were going to be billed for all costs of fires, but never heard end result.

it floors me that people are so self centered that they wont pull over for another vehicle that can obviously achieve the speed limit. we wont travel highway 55 on the wekends anymore. the difference between where we used to go and where we go now is night and day. highway 21 very rarely gets the "trains" that highway 55 gets and people actually use the slow vehicle turnouts. all i can figure is that its the people on the road. highway 21 doesnt have a trendyass town at the end of it filled with vacation properties and highend eateries/pubs. just lots and lots of camping....hmmmm. makes ya think eh?

i could go on for days about inconsiderate driver stories...as im sure lots of people on here could. i just threw this one up, because the old guy that wouldnt pull over (hopefully) got billed for a few forest fires as a penility for not pulling over. wonder if he utilizes those slow vehicle turnouts these days??
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

I lived in Glennallen, Alaska, for a few summers. When we were bored we'd go down to the Tasty Freeze on the Glenn Highway, get a cone, and sit outside and watch the big RVs go by. Why was that fun? Well, there were a number of frost heaves on the Glenn, and a big one in front of Tasty Freeze, complete with several large signs warning to slow down because of the frost heaves. We'd routinely see the big motor coaches pulling "toad" cars behind them hit the bump, bounce wildly, and if we were lucky (and they weren't), have the tow hitch come undone.

Ok, I know it's mean to glory in another's misfortune, but I was young and it was fun to watch...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #8

A few weeks ago, our son called to make sure we were not the on-its-side van (we own both a white mini van & a white SMB) involved in the crash that killed two people and injured three others on Southern California’s Pacific Coast Highway in Dana Point. We often drive that road to walk around Dana Point Harbor and had done so a few hours earlier. Note the TWO sets of double yellow lines separating this two lane road and absolutely no passing is allowed on this short stretch of road.

The crash took place when driver of a Volkswagen Jetta heading northbound on PCH attempted to pass a Mini-Cooper driven by a student driver. As the driver attempted to pass the slower vehicle on the two-lane road, the Jetta struck a gray van and a Honda Civic and then the vehicle split into two. The two people inside the Jetta died at the scene of the accident. Alcohol is thought to be a factor.
Attached Thumbnails
PCH 01.jpg   PCH 02.jpg  
JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Not good at all. The SMB almost looks like it has a G-top if that is a PH. Hope the SMB didn't contribute to the situation.
I watched a guy talking to his buddy pointing at my van when he pulled onto highway 108 right in front of a Chevy Tahoe doing 50+MPH. The Tahoe T-boned him almost pushing him into me as I passed by. Scared the hell out of me as I swerved to stay out of the wreck.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

Dave,

I think that is the stock Ford metal roof. The rain gutter makes it look like an SMB top from that angle.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote