Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #11

Re: The New Adventuremobile (non SMB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Give us a mpg update Saline, if you keep up with it. I'm curious how the 7.3 truck with camper is vs. your van. I would think the front cap would bring down your mileage due to wind resistance but I'm curious how yours works out.

The best mileage I got was 15.2 and ranged as low as 12 with a headwind.

As for the choice in truck? We do a fair bit of rafting and need to haul a lot of people and gear so the crew cab was a good choice. There is a LOT of room in this truck. I was worried how much extra stuff my wife would try and stow in it.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
Quote:
Give us a mpg update Saline, if you keep up with it. I'm curious how the 7.3 truck with camper is vs. your van. I would think the front cap would bring down your mileage due to wind resistance but I'm curious how yours works out.

The best mileage I got was 15.2 and ranged as low as 12 with a headwind.

As for the choice in truck? We do a fair bit of rafting and need to haul a lot of people and gear so the crew cab was a good choice. There is a LOT of room in this truck. I was worried how much extra stuff my wife would try and stow in it.
I was curious, since I've ridden in a few modern F250 crew cabs and know they are huge. Could you remove the front wheel of your bikes and store them in the back of the truck with the seat folded up/down? If you were just traveling with 2 people/2 bikes maybe this would keep them secure and avoid a rack in the way.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #13

Garage

Happy you have a vehicle to enjoy travelling again. Hope you will continue to post trip report here, I miss them :-)
Old 02-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Could you remove the front wheel of your bikes and store them in the back of the truck with the seat folded up/down?
Most bikes will fit sideway. Roadbikes will probably fit even with the wheels on. I would still lock them up to the seat brackets though. It only takes ~15 seconds to unlock the doors if somebody knows that they are doing (its not just Fords. About 95% of vehicles on the road can be unlocked that quick. The rest take about a minute. The only real tricky ones are newer European cars a dead battery). And any car can be broken into in a second using a rock.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I had no idea you had sold the SMB...great choice in trucks though, also my choice if I were to get a pickup, love the space of the crew cab, a friend has the same '02 crew 7.3L (he got a northern lite) and his research was instrumental in me searching out our '03 7.3L SMB. Check out DP tuners or some others listed around here for a chip tune, awesome addition! See you out there....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote