Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #11

Re: The Wait

Check. Lots to do now that the van is under construction.

Plan the trip to pickup the van and drive it home; maps, camp spots, park rules and regs, sites to see, route, and stops.

Develop checklist for use during van turnover process.

Make a list of what to pack for the flight down.

Make a list of what to buy at the local grocery warehouse as soon as we drive off the SMB lot.

Purchase insurance to be effective upon taking title.

Purchase and ship snow chains to SMB prior to our arrival.

Plans for picking up tags and license once home.

joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
Check. Lots to do now that the van is under construction.

Plan the trip to pickup the van and drive it home; maps, camp spots, park rules and regs, sites to see, route, and stops.
I make it a policy never to plan stops and only generally plan routes. The best places we've been to were never planned ahead, but discovered on the way. And they ruin any schedule you might have. We stop early (4-5pm) and always find campsites.

If I have to maintain a schedule, I might as well be at work.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

if you don't live close to the SMB site, you might want to do a local trip close to the shop to test things out. Twice I got about 10 miles from SMB and had to turn around. One problem was with the alarm messing with the locker and another time was with the Air bags. Sometimes you just don't know.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #14

I like the ideas! For me it is a strange road. I currently live just about 30 minutes from SMB West. However, I will be moving out of state during my build.

I've already registered the van with non-resident military tax exemption in AZ. That was a TOTAL of $15 for two years (I can hear the collective groan from the crowd ). I'll also be taking advantage of the SMB delivery program (if you look close you'll see my left hand with middle finger extended out my driver's window (CA taxes) as I cross the border). That will mean no sales tax on the 4x4 and the interior. For those keeping track, I also passed on the taxes for the PH top at SMB North. So far, just a little tax money to OH for the van and the seat install.

The plan is to focus on the move (should be complete by the 2nd week of May). Then coordinate some other personal business in Fresno when the van is complete to get a complete check-out on the showroom floor at SMB West. Then have them deliver it.

So...

Plan to check out and receive van - check.
Registration - check.
Insurance - check.
1st Trip plan (cross country the entire month of July - southern route) - planning in progress.
Recovery gear - have most stuff from Jeep - need stronger stuff - planning in progress.
Better jack - have Hi-Lift - saw thread on bottle jacks - need that.
Camping gear - have most of what we need from Jeep camping - need to make sure it doesn't get buried in the move.
Van log book - in development (happy to get suggestions here, no need to re-invent the wheel).

Thanks again for the ideas!
Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
I've already registered the van with non-resident military tax exemption in AZ. That was a TOTAL of $15 for two years
Wow, don't you just love Ca. That's a slick move and well thought out

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #16

I've never been any good at tax evasion, and found it not worth my time to try. However, I can see that if I were retired it would be more tempting to think about the different angles one could pursue when contemplating roughly $7K in taxes. The delivery charge is $500 to $1K. The differences between state tax rates may or may not be viable. Home built certainly appears to be the cheaper route if you're looking for real savings.

Good tips on avoiding planning for stops in your trip plan. I guess I figure my driving time tolerance and really want to know what's going to be nearby for a safe comfortable overnight sleep. Otherwise, there are one a couple must stops in my plan. You know, the never been there or been there when I was a little kid and think it would be a magical place to visit. Then I can stay spontaneous for the rest of the time, but still look for safe havens to spend the night.

I was wondering how far to wander from SMB before hitting the open road too. Just ten miles huh? That's going to take us to the grocery to ready up. Sounds like we should take SMB West up on their offer for a free night at a local RV park (don't know how close that is). We were planning on using their free overnight hotel stay upon arrival, and I suppose we could pay for the second night at their RV site.

Requested input for van purchase checklists on a new thread. Please post your ideas there.

Thanks!
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #17

It's not tax "evasion" it's tax "planning". ;-)