Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Re: Toyota Tacoma: automatic LSD vs 4x4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
No one has suggested looking at the new Chevy 1500 -- which on paper is more fuel efficient and has comparable hp and torque.
The Chevy 5.3L still has 50 ft-lbs less torque than the EcoBoost, and its available over a much narrower range, meaning that motor is a screamer to make that HP. And its rated less for towing. To get the max tow package on the Chevy, you have to go with the 6.2L.

PUTC still gave the "old" F150 the nod over the "new" Chevy:
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....e-results.html

Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #12

Don't get me wrong, I love my V6 2008 Access Cab Tacoma but I get lousy mileage considering the size of the truck. Of course it is still better mileage than my van. I think the sticker said 16/21 but I usually get about 14 in town and 20 on the highway if I keep it at legal speed. I have good snow rated tires on it and have never had any problems in the snow as long as I keep some sand in the back. I would stay away from any Tacoma from 2004-2007, those trucks seem to have had a lot of issues.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Toyota.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #13

Tacoma world being the better forum, the guys over there are rabid about everything. God forbid you use your truckbed instead of keeping it pretty... I basically stopped posting there, and I'm no wallflower when it comes to the Internet.

The 2010 Double Cab Taco is surprisingly small double cab when you consider (try) putting car seats in for adults, it's great, better access than a Jeep Cherokee XJ, but the intended purpose being "for the childrens" it's not living up to it's purpose.

That said, it's a mountain goat. I sprung for the 4x4Offroad with the Locker and A-Trac, but I haven't found an actual need for any of it yet- the stance and clearance doesn't match the drivetrain at all. I think the LSD plus computer yelling at you all the time would be enough to keep most people shiny side up, and most situations. For starters, you know how to drive on a little bit of snow, which is like half the battle.

Normally I'm a 4x4 fanatic, but I seriously can't even get the back to come around when I'm trying to play in 2wd- if I have any complaint, it's that you can't turn the stupid computer traction stuff off. Give me a few weeks and I'll get to try it in deep snow no doubt, and I will perhaps have a more refined opinion- still last year the first thing I did was take the stupid sandbags out of the bed because it really, really didn't need them. I'm pretty sure I can even go 2wd up the hill in front of my house, which is nearly impossible without 4x4 when it's mucky- it's foiled many a contractor pickup and even put a fire engine in the ditch.

Still, if I had it to do over I'd probably get the Sport 4x4, the one I test drove had some serious fun pep that seems to be missing from my over-drivetrained Offroad 4x4, all else being identical. I fully intend to need the fancy 4x4, but the Sport was just fun to drive.

Aside from forums full of s the one persistent problem seems to be the wheel balance. This is a good read, and considering whatever is at the dealership might have gotten traded up for this, it might be a reason to wait for the 2015s after all:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-ge ... shake.html

After new tires and three balances I finally got mine livable, but I'm scared to death of the tire rotation I now need because I'm sure it will come back. And note, it's only down to a livable shake- it's not gone, it just wasn't worth one more trip for another balance. When I got the truck with some duratracks on it, it was undrivable- naturally I thought the tires were shot but I put Toyo AT Passenger tires on and it's still a problem.

On another note, I've also camped in an oversized truck shell many times, one you could sit up in a chair inside, and I'd highly recommend you consider a Four Wheel Hawk or something similar in a mini-popup slide in. Apart from the occasional nap, living in a cap is pretty horrid.